Saturday, January 17, 2004

Well, that went quick...

I had promised to post regularly during my 6 days in Los Angeles, but I have done none of the sort....

Instead, I will post a summary of what I think about America, Americans in general and maybe (and I can't think of one now) something that is good about the USA.

Bare in mind, I am actually reading "Stupid White Men" by Michael Moore at the time and I must admit by visiting the US and reading a chapter or two of his book each night I do perhaps have a jaded opinion.

But anyway, who cares...

Food: Why are Americans so fat? Because each meal at a restaurant is as much as what I would serve my entire family for dinner.

For example, I went to lunch today at the American Grill near Beverly Hills today and ordered a steak sandwhich. The menu said "served with onions on a garlic and herb buttered roll".

The waitress asked if I would like "fries" with that and I said yes. In Sydney, particularly the East Sydney Hotel, you order a steak sandwhich which comes out on toasted white bread and a small basket of chips...

But this thing comes out on a 2 foot long plate. Half of it is covered in french fries about 5 inches high and the rest has an open steak sandwhich on a long (8 inch) roll with a steak on it that would be too big for the Lone Star steakhouse. The girl puts it down in front of me with a pitcher of tomato sauce ("ketchup") and a large bowl that contains a huge mound of salad covered in what they call "Blue Cheese Dressing" about 3 large tomatoes quartered and red onions.

On top of the steak are 3 very large and very thick calamari rings (it never mentioned calamari on the menu) and also I had a seperate "sour dough" bread roll.... with butter....

And this is for a working lunch with my American colleagues.

They had ordered similar things on the menu that at first hearing didn't seem too heavy... but they too had a 2 foot long plate covered in exhorbitant portions of food.

But whilst I was surprised, they were not and thought it was reasonable. They even considered desert!

Now if you know me, you know I am not the smallest bloke on this earth and I love my food, but this was ridiculous!!

One of my colleagues said afterwards he "felt like he needed to shit a hoof!" Interesting expression - very gross but spot on!!

Have to go... gotta go and dispose of a hoof! LOL!!

No comments: