Thursday, June 23, 2005

How Cold Is It!

Whilst my good friend gumbi has requested that I shut the fark up about trains, it’s a bit hard to do at the moment.  This morning, the train is on time and nice and cozy with the heat on…. But last night on the way home it was another story.  The train terminated at Penrith and it was a case of a bus between Penrith and Katoomba (all stations!).  The old geezer next to me on the train wasn’t happy as he was going all the way to Lithgow.  On a cold June evening, a bus to Katoomba stopping at all stations is not what you would call pleasant.  Top marks to State Rail for doing Trackwork when people are trying to get home from work.

Today though happy readers, it is the end of my working week.  I am taking the day off tomorrow (legitimately! I have put a form in!!) as I will, as of tomorrow, be married 10 years.  It’s a bit of a milestone and we are a bit more excited than the usual anniversaries.  We are not big present givers normally, but we have gone all out this year.  I bought Niki two (yes two!) diamond rings.  One a simple eternity band to be worn with her other wedding rings and the another a large diamond number on her right hand.  The first was planned; Niki came in and was measured up etc so that was expected.  The other was a surprise.  Of course I couldn’t resist giving them to her before tomorrow and she has been wearing them this week.  She calls them her “Eternity Ring and her Eternity Bling”.  LOL.

She also got me a present too and last night gave me a great watch.  I don’t normally wear a watch (in the days of mobiles, PC’s, laptops and work telephone, you can see the time pretty much all the time) and haven’t had a working watch for over 5 years.  This is a silver and gold metal banded number that is really schmick!  Unfortunately it is a little big and needs the links taken out, but I love it!  Thanks baby!!

So tomorrow, there will be no State Rail update and I know all of you will be terribly upset about that… but I will be busy doing other things with my 3 hours that I spend on this farking train.

On more worldly matters, I see that Schapelle Corby’s lawyer / financial backer, is now claiming (discretely) to be reimbursed $500,000.  Turns out that blundering white knights do come at a cost don’t they!  I presume because the story has largely gone off the boil (due to plenty of rumours going around that she is guilty) that Mr Bakir has seen his chance at millions dissipate faster than you can say “media beat up” and now he is realising that he is going to be out of pocket rather than be flush with cash… tsk tsk Mr Bakir…

Instead of Corby, we media (presuming this blog is classified as “media”) types move on to Media Beat Up of the Week with Mr Douglas Wood.  Now Dougie Wood (Woodsy to his mates) has been living in the USA for umpteen years and spends his time as some sort of mercenary engineer for US firms in third world nations.  Now Woodsy was of course making a killing (excuse the bad pun) in Iraq rebuilding infrastructure in the scam of “US Bombs Destroy Buildings, US Firms Replace Buildings For Big Fee” and gets himself captured by “terrorists”.  He gets rescued (but they leave his Iraqi colleagues behind to face certain death) and now he is “home” in Australia.  Given that he hasn’t been here for years, I can’t see why he is so keen to get back to Australia.  I would have thought his main thoughts would have been with his American born wife in San Diego rather than his crusty brothers in Melbourne, but hey, there’s a dollar to be made.

Channel 10 won the “auction” for his story and now we have the thinking man’s newsreader Sandra Sully interviewing Woodsy this weekend at the same timeslot as Channel 9’s 60 Minutes.  I can’t ever recall Channel 9 losing out on the Big Exclusive Interview before… it won’t be the same without Ray!

Perhaps we can get one of the cheap slurry evictees from Big Brother to sit on Dougie’s lap and give him a “Woody” – sorry, bad pun joke.

I bet Channel 10 have an SMS poll about something too, just to make sure that they can recoup some of the high 6, low 7 figure sum they have paid Woodsy and his Band of Brothers.

Well I better signoff… I need to look at the page format of Lime Kettles to make sure these long rants can fit more easily on the page.  This skinny column means that when I want to assault you all with my verbal diarrhoea it takes up all the screen… not good.

But before I go, just a quick note to say to our good friends Glenn & Brooke that we’re thinking of them – hope all is well.

 

3 comments:

Goreon said...

Good call on Douglas Wood there Clay. I agree completely. People carry on with their usual brainwashed attitudes that he's so lucky to get out and that's it's such a terrible thing to happen - BLAH BLAH BLAH - when the reality is, he was there to make easy money in a damn warzone. The idiot got caught and even with his miracle escape and near death experience, he's still counting the beans in selling his story.

As a self confessed jaded and cynical Sydneysider, I must say I saw this coming a mile off - he was always in it for the money - but the stupid public and media think he's a 'victim'.

Pulese.

Goreon said...

Oh and Clay - I stumbled across this today...

http://www.wellbeingmanifesto.net/

I reckon you will find this a great bloody little read...

Anonymous said...

I can confirm it is cold. Cold enough for me to go to work late because i cbf getting out of bed

it was delicious.

WD on still being married, i think statistics are against you lasting this long in this day and age? What a sad world...