Friday, June 03, 2005

Musings from Strathfield...

Train on time this morning… which is a rarity. Today being Friday, thoughts turn to the weekend and I am thinking it will be a quiet one – only 1 kids party! I think we are starting to measure our social schedule around the girls. I don’t ever remember having so many parties to attend when I was a kid. The trend seems to be now to have them on the day of the childs birthday… which means Kate and Brooke are now going to birthday parties after school as well. I can’t understand that…


Still am yet to see the new Star Wars movie. Am very keen, but we just haven’t had the time or the babysitting available. I will see what we can do about it this weekend?


Work today will be pretty good too… I have no “meetings” on today and can churn through a few things that are cluttering my desk. “Meetings” are the bane of my existence. They seem to be a constant grind… the office is a pretty unique social microcosm of life. When you think about it, people are thrown together for a “cause” only for the real reason that they need money to exist out side of work. Now this affects people in a number of ways… some people see work simply as that – a chore that is a necessity of life. These people start at 9am and finish at 5pm and have probably been in the same position as they were in 1986. Others see work as there life and hence are motivated by the desire to better the company and hence themselves. These people are usually the ones that call meetings.


Me, I think I am in the rare breed in between. I see work as a necessity but also realise that if you play the game well, the knock on effect is that you get seen by the “Devotees” as a “fellow devotee”. The end result is advancement in the cult called “The Company” and hence more dollars. Win Win situation… What I cant understand is the two other groups of people…


I don’t know why I am dribbling on like this. Perhaps it is the lack of sleep…


No comments: