Friday, July 29, 2005

Another week down!

Running late this morning and have caught the train from Emu Plains this morning, which is running on time for once.  When it gets to Friday it gets harder to get up so early in the morning… considering that you’re consistently going to bed around midnight.

We also had a peaceful night on the kids’ front with the girls, particularly Kate, sleeping through.  She has lost about 3kgs apparently and when you consider she weighs not much more than 30kgs, that’s nearly 10% of her weight!  She’s a slender girl as is and she has a gaunt look at the moment.  Again yesterday she slept of 3-4 hrs in the middle of the day and was very lethargic.

The good news is that she has woken this morning all bright and chirpy and is keen to go to school today.  Friday is her news day and she wants to take the Ant Farm in to show.  As a matter of coincidence, Niki saw on one of the news programs last night that there is a severe bout of Gastro running through a lot of the schools and kids in Sydney.  The news said that 20% of cases were ending in hospitalisation and that kids affected should remain at home for 7 days.  Therefore I am unsure if Niki will keep Kate home again but I think she looked well enough to go.

Funny how a sick child becomes your only thought when you’re a parent.  I have been very busy at work but I still call in a couple of times a day and get updates how she’s going etc.  You can tell I guess that this has been my main thought this week as its what I have been rabbiting on about…

I am looking forward now to a relaxing weekend.  Saturday will see the garden get some attention… winter means less mowing of lawns and I haven’t touched it in weeks.  The grass is still bowling green short, but there are weeds and winter grass through it.  When we bought the place 3 years ago, it had this great watering system that kept the grass perfectly.  Now with the water restrictions, my lawn has gone to pot and what I thought was a neighbourhood that had lawns that looked like something out of Desperate Housewives now looks like a dustbowl.

Sunday will be a BBQ here with “some” of my friends (ozjesting, we’ll get you up here for a BBQ soon!) and I am in serious need of just chilling out.  We are going for the minimalist approach to this BBQ which means I will fill the gas bottle, buy a case of beer and just chat with friends.  Niki has bought plastic plates etc, so everything will just go in the bin.  I think there will be 12-15 people at our place so it should be good.

That’s about it.  I think this is the most boring post I have written, but hey its Friday after all!

 

2 comments:

Notta Wallflower said...

Just happened on your blog by random surfing. Hope your little gal is feeling better - the doc always told me that, if the kiddo is moving around the house, bright eyed and bushy tailed, they are good enough to go to school (much to my son's dismay). Sidenote: kids go to school in summer in Australia?

Clay said...

Hey Jen,

Thanks for stopping by… you are my first official person to post a comment that I don’t already know from “real life”.

Firstly, its winter here in Australia… freezing arctic temps of 21 Celsius :-) but yes, we go to school here all year around. 6 weeks break in December/January for Christmas and 2 weeks break every 10 other weeks.

No such thing as “Summer Break” as you guys in the States have.

Cheers,
Clay