Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Welcome back to reality...

After 4 days of luxury cars, 5 star accommodation, fine food and wine and the relaxation that a weekend without children brings, I was back to earth today but it has really sunk in this morning.

Yesterday morning I was cruising into the office in the Lexus getting all the complimentary stares that one gets when driving an impressive motor vehicle (or where they thinking “Look at that wanker!”).  But this morning I am back on the rails so to speak and the temperature here in Glenbrook is a balmy 2 degrees.  I have forgotten my watch and my beanie and my scarf (I was used to the seat warmer in the Lexus) and I have just gotten onto the familiar carriage #8 of the 7:10am train.  I felt like I needed to give people a wave and a nod as I have been derelict in my attendance on the train as I have been driving to the office a fair bit lately.  Not only the Lexus, but I have had Blood Bowl games, State of Origin parties, work functions and NRL Friday Night Football to attend in the past fortnight so I have basically been ignoring the value of my monthly rail ticket.

But I think, at least in the near future, trains will be the way to go for me.

This is good because I filled up the Lexus yesterday (the only cost to me for having it) and half a tank cost me $48 at $1.18 a litre.  I think the way fuel is going, liquid gold driven cars with diamond tyres will be cheaper in the not to distant future.  I read this weekend that some petrol distribution plant in Sydney lost power for a couple of days and that because of this ALL the petrol prices in Sydney would jump 6 cents and that the weekly discount cycle (Tight Arse Tuesday) will be suspended.  So what they are telling me that a failed power switchboard results in a circa 10% increase in costs for the punter at the bowser?  Now surely a large petrochemical refinery would have insurance?  I, being one that works in the area of corporate insurance, know that surely the loss of income to the petrochemical plant due to its power failure should have been covered by a basic business interruption policy.  Sure there would have been a deductible (excess) on the loss that perhaps could have been a 6 figure number but even so, why would the company wish to recover costs that result in a 6 cent pump cost hike?

And remember, that this is but one plant.  Its not like it is the single point of failure for Sydney’s petrol distribution.  Its not like suddenly we were without supply for 2 days.  I don’t recall seeing any petrol stations closed?  So how much income was lost…  I bet it was significantly less than 6 cents per litre over a 4 day period across ALL of Sydney and the greater part of NSW…

Yet we take this (in the hip pocket) like good corporate citizens and blame the high petrol prices on Terrorism…. idiots.

PS – did anyone see the new Terrorism ads on tele lately… remember peeps, if you see an arab looking guy in a backpack, dob him in!!

 

1 comment:

Goreon said...

I think it's nothing more than a simple money grubbing excercise on behalf of the oil barons and governments myself. The government reaps billions in taxes from petrol and the oil cartels just run a monopoly on the stuff as they see fit.

It's definitely time someone in Aus stepped up and provided a petrol alternative - hell, there was a guy on A Current Affair a month or so back that had his car running on full electric for $1 a WEEK! Where the hell are great ideas like that going I ask you? BAH!

I can tell ya, the next car I get will be gas converted immediately - the fuel prices in Australia are completely ridiculous (but realistically speaking, they're still cheaper than places like the UK).

As for 'dob in a terrorist'? Pffft! It may or may not happen, but they're not stupid - they'll hit us whether we're ready or not. The UK was easy pickings, Australia is even easier.

I just hate this 'fear' culture that Australia is adopting ala USA - it's a method of control that's really not what Australia is all about. Howard has the voting population by the balls with fear and greed... and no where for us to turn.

Everyone enjoying the new IR laws yet?

Bah.