Tuesday, July 26, 2005

You know that feeling...

…when everything in your life seems rushed?  At the moment everything seems to be burling along at a 100 miles an hour and I just seem to have so many things/issues/ideas in my head at once that you think your head might explode?

In all areas of my life at the moment it seems extremely busy.  At work, I have that many projects on, I could easily be in the office at 7am and stay until midnight and still not get everything done.  I work long hours as is and it just doesn’t seem enough.  8:30 – 6:30 generally is the “normal day” but I will work until 7:30/8pm more often than I’d care to.  Add on the trip to and from the Mountains to the City and back and you’ll understand why my time is precious and hence my more than occasional rant at State Rail is well founded.

At home, Kate is home for the 2nd straight day from school and we spent another evening helping her around a bucket and the toilet.  Enough is enough and she is off to the doctors today.  She obviously has a virus of some sort and in my books if it hasn’t worked itself out in 72hrs, then its off to the docs.  Her little sister Brooke had a similar thing last week, but it was over in 2-3 days… but Kate hasn’t kept anything in since Friday night.

Back on the work scene, my counterpart in my company’s Los Angeles office was asked to leave due to incompetence (long story, but she really was shithouse) and I only found this out yesterday afternoon.  A lot of people at the office have said (even before she announced her ‘departure’) that perhaps I should go over there.  This is all early days yet, but the idea of going to LA for a stint seems appealing and if I was a single bloke, I’d probably jump at it.  On the other hand, with Niki and the girls, could we do it?  Upping and moving to another country is a big step and of all countries, the USA… I have been to LA a couple of times and it’s not the most pleasant of places.  I am sure it has its nicer housing areas etc etc, but the city to me is a bit run down and is very sprawling.  So we discussed it at home last night and are still unsure of whether to officially put my hat in the ring to take the position.

Its early days yet, so I will see how it all pans out in the office today.

I have also, again because I am a big train user, been thinking about this London thing and how the London police shot this Brazilian national dead because he ran from them wearing a duffle coat.  Had a chat to a guy in the office yesterday who catches the train from Merrylands and he is now deliberately taking the last carriage in his train because he believes its less likely to be blown up by terrorists.  He used the word “fatalist” and how the media are now saying “when” not “if”.  I guess he is right… we just seem to be bombarded with news and media on terrorism.  Sometimes I wish that the media would just back off and stop hyping it up.  I saw on the news this morning that John Howard stopped into Iraq on the way home from London and he looked ridiculous in a helmet and bullet proof vest getting off the plane and walking across the tarmac.  Yet in the next shot he is in some sort of “trench” and makes a pathetic attempt to climb the slope of the trench to peer at the “no man zone” beyond… he was wearing his akubra at the time and looked like a right tool.

All this does in my mind is heighten the nations awareness of Iraq and “promotes” our involvement.  We all sit at home “tsk tsking” the terrorists but those of that inclination are probably taking the coverage as further justification of their jihad.  I cannot see this whole terrorism issue “ending” ever… can someone explain how we can “stop terrorism”.

Nothing short of a crusade like religious war is where I unfortunately see all this going…

2 comments:

Goreon said...

Mate, you should see my little spit on Cityrail on my blog this morning ;) Totally justified IMHO too the cretins. Those that don't take the trains might wonder what's all the fuss, but for those of us who get screwed by Cityrail on a daily basis, it's just all too familiar...

As for the terrorism thing, yeah I agree. I think it's a matter of when and not if really, but Australia really is a lower risk than overseas. Mind you, the media plays directly into their hands with so much coverage and hype - they know that no matter what they do, everyone is going to hear about it and that's kind of the whole point of terrorism in the first place. Bloody stupid Media.

If it ends up being a religious war that would not surprise me at all actually. The two leading causes of human death throughout history have always been religion and nationalism - we've learned nothing sadly.

Bah!

Anonymous said...

Just so you know...you WON'T be able to take the ants with you if yo go o LA.