Monday, August 01, 2005

Back to the grindstone...

Well after a good weekend, it’s now Monday morning and its back to work.  To be honest, I have just had the best weekend in ages and I am totally not motivated to go to the office.  Not only yesterday’s BBQ was good, but I had a good Saturday as well in which we worked around the house and got the weeding and the lawns done and I fixed a few things around the house.  Add to that my footy team Saints beat my most hated team the Roosters on Friday night and you can see why I have a bit of Mondayitis.

It’s a Bank Holiday today too but because I don’t work for a bank, I am coming in…  The train is decidedly quieter this morning as its not just banks that get today off, but any company remotely associated with the financial services industry.  Insurance companies, brokers, fund managers all are having today off.  No such luck for me though.

Seems a strange notion to have a “Bank Holiday”.   I don’t understand why a whole industry sector needs an additional day off above Public Holidays.  I used to work for companies that had bank holidays and I never complained, but its still just a funny notion.  I guess it’s like the old “Picnic Day” for the unions (do they still have them?).

I am also a bit tired this morning because I got hooked watching some “documentary” on Hiroshima last night.  I use inverted commas because it was a touch over the top by way of dramatisation.  It was interesting to have Japanese eyewitness accounts of the explosion, but the American pilots had their roles played by actors and the real life pilots being interviewed varied from remorseful to gun-ho “they deserved it” types who quite frankly were pricks.  The captain of the Enola Gay who dropped the bomb was particularly callous and it was just downright tacky.

The documentary also seemed to focus more on the pilots and their pre-flight preparations rather than the actually people at Ground Zero and it seemed to take an age describing the bomb’s travel to the Pacific and the airfield they took off from and the fact that media were allowed access etc etc.  The story of the after effects on the ground was less than half of the documentary.

On the plus side, I find it unbelievable that some of the survivors interviewed were about 200m from the impact zone and that they weren’t vaporised in the blast or died from radiation.  Their stories were fascinating, but they were only explored piecemeal in a dramatised fashion.

I suppose, what do you expect from a show on at 10:30 on a Sunday night…

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad u had a good weekend mate :)

At least u had gas for the BBQ this time!!!

Goreon said...

There are still picnic days. I work for State Govt and our picnic day this year is Dec 28th ;)