Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Insert Generic Bland Post Heading Here.

I am a bit stumped for words this morning.  I usually have something to rant about, but I feel rather uninspired at the moment.  I feel a little bit flat both physically and mentally and I think this is because my boss is overseas at the moment.  Generally, I would be flat out doing stuff and he would be adding to the fire, but this week I have been busy but haven’t had him stoking up the pile of work faster than I can finish it… So whilst I am hardly sitting back at work twiddling my thumbs, I am not overly stressed as well.  This has meant that things haven’t necessarily got under my skin like they usually do I suppose…

So when I haven’t got anything to rant about, I am stumped to find things that are good enough to dedicate a whole posting to.  But a few things this week include:

·          I have scored a set of Dwarf Blood Bowl figures from my good fumbbl mate Twahn.  These Dwarves will be my next painting project.  Last night I posted up the Eucalyptus Bowl results and commented that I was chuffed at my Sportsmanship placing, but I did fairly poorly on the Painting side.  I admit I rushed my Halflings to get them ready and I have no great claims on being a master painter, but still I’d like to improve.  My weak point on miniature painting is skin / flesh areas and facial details.  The Dwarves haven’t arrived in the post as yet (Twahn lives in Melbourne) but my knowledge of their features is that they do have little beady eyes in amongst the beards.  I am going to practise some techniques on some generic fantasy miniatures I have at home, but I really want to make the Dwarf team look good.  Also, a strong colour scheme is needed as well.  I was thinking yellow and blue in the old “Dwarf Giants” style, but that may be a bit plain…  Any suggestions, let me know.

·          This weekend is going to be a big one socially.  My mate Gools is relocating to the Gold Coast in a month so we’re having a few celebratory functions to give him the proper send off.  This Sunday it’s the football where we’re seeing the Tigers hopefully knock the Broncos out.  We’re meeting at a pub at midday and the game kicks off at 4pm, so you can guess what we’ll be doing in the meantime.  This will be followed by a night out in which our wives and girlfriends will catch up with us and we’re having another slap up meal.  I think Thai is on the cards, so that will be good.

·          My favourite American sport, NFL kicked off on the weekend just past, and my team the Washington Redskins got themselves a win in the first game.  I really enjoy the NFL for its tactical side and I know a lot of Aussies don’t appreciate it, but it is in my opinion the best US sport.  I think Baseball is boring (and I love cricket!) and Basketball turns me off with the overhype and the “bling bling” extravagance.  Ice Hockey is not on the radar and they lost a season to strike actions and also it’s so damned hard to watch on TV that you may as well not bother.  But the NFL is a very structured game that is like chess and if you know the game, you will appreciate the subtle differences of between 4-3 defence of a 3-4 defence with a linebacker blitz.   I got to watch the Ravens – Colts game on FOX and I must admit the use of the linebacker on the line of scrimmage by the Ravens was a very good tactic.  Sure they lost, but that was because their offence was shite.  (I have probably lost over half my readers at this point…)

That’s probably enough generic posting for now… maybe I will get the shits today and take it out on you all tomorrow with another rant of some sort…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You lost me at the start, but came back strong with the NFL stuff ;-)

The Cardinals got WHUPPED...but my secret favourite team the Colts (I saw the game too) whacked the Ravens! Very good year for the Horseshoe ahead I rekon!

(And I LOVE baseball! Boring?!? Get ready for the play-offs race!)

Anonymous said...

My advice with the dwarves would be steer away from the red beards. Chunky, DM and myself all have teams with red beards. I'd go for grey if I were to redo mine.

Goreon said...

After painting my first 14 dorf models I can tell ya that they are not that hard to paint. The secret to doing the smaller features is to start with the innermost stuff and paint outwards - that means you do the eyes before you do the face before you do the hats - that way if you make mistakes, they will get covered up in the layers you do later on.

The only exception to this rule is doing any painting that requires inks or washes (like the beards) which I tend to do before anything else.

Dwarfs are quite small though, so you shouldn't have too much trouble painting them up.

Oh and I agree with DC completely - if you get the chance to paint with grey to white beards, go for it! When the new dwarf team comes out next year I plan on doing my new ones this way as well.

Best of luck and make sure you post up photos of your work!

Cheers