Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The New Painting Project!

My good fumbbl mate Twahn sent me up a team of dwarves for me to paint and they arrived yesterday.  12 figures, 3 of them painted already to a very high standard, all wrapped in bubble wrap safe and sound.

My problem is that they 3 painted ones are painted well above my standard but they will need to be stripped back.  I will feel really bad about stripping them as they are based with flock as grass and everything.

I have ummed and aghhed about the colour scheme and last night looking at the figures, I decided to go for a maroon and yellow scheme.  With a little bit of white and using a bronze for the metal trims, I am thinking that they will turn out OK.  The beards I will do a traditional brown and stay away from red beards which seems to be in vogue at the moment.  The Troll Slayers though will have the red-orange mo-hawks as is their custom…

All in all, I am going to take my time with this project… I am going to do one as a test case and then if it looks OK, go into mass production.  I wont strip back the 3 painted ones until the other 9 are done as they make great guides in picking out things in the models that I may have missed.

Two things that I am really terrible at that are very good on these figures however are faces and boots.  For some reason, I just cant get faces and really struggle getting the tones right and the eyes done nicely.  Also,  boots I tend to slap some brown on and don’t get too fussed, but the boots of the dwarves are done with 3-4 colours and full highlights.  Very nice and very tough to beat!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Clay

you may want to try this site for faces at least, i found it helpful...

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/Workshop/painting.htm