Friday, September 09, 2005

School Train...

I have a 10am meeting today in the city (I work not quite in the city on William St) so I decided to take advantage and come in late and go straight to the meeting… Consequently I am on the 8:21am from Glenbrook and it is packed with school kids.  I have realised that I am quite old now… the “kids of today” seem very alien to me.  Probably not the girls… they were wearing the regular hair styles and had junky jewellery on just like when I was at school, but the guys!  Shit… They have more tints and highlights in their hair than you can poke a stick at and are quite happy to wear jewellery – bracelets, rings mostly – that would get any person of my era bashed “back in the day”.

I graduated high school in 1990 and to me, it seems like it is still fairly recent, but then you realise it was 15 years ago.  Ancient history in school terms.  I think about people who would have graduated 15yrs before me (1975) and that seems a long time, but then I relate it to today and I still think in my head that it was “just a few years ago”.

I guess nobody ever loses that feeling…

I will be 33 years old in December and I have one daughter in school myself and one not far off it.  When you say that, it makes you feel old.  But on Saturday I am turning out again for cricket with my school mates and we’re still hanging out together and over a few beers we still talk about those times from school… the day Joe whacked Cutajar, the day my mate Siebs and I had a full on fight at the back fence and drew blood but was the worst fight ever seen, the days we got our drivers licenses and hooned around our neighbourhood going for “Milfy Runs” which consisted of 2, 3 or 4 carloads of teenagers pulling up out the front of one guys house in the late evening / early morning hours and yelling out obscenities at the top of our lungs… and then Terry got booked by the cops…

These old stories have lasted those years and we are still hanging out together.  We now though have wives or girlfriends we may as well consider wives, most of us have kids and some of us are going to have kids soon.  Our “group” is getting larger.  Saturday nights at the pubs and clubs are slowly giving way to BBQ’s and beers on a Sunday.  I consider myself very lucky to have friends such as mine and when people criticise me that I should put away the cricket bat and concentrate on other things, people fail to realise that its not about winning and losing, but rather its about creating more stories and enjoying the good times.

Bring on the summer!

No comments: