Tuesday, October 11, 2005

IR Reforms... what does it all mean?

OK, so we are getting bombarded with adverts telling us we cant be sacked for staying home looking after ill children… Does that mean we used to?  I have taken time off before to look after my kids when they are ill and recently “worked from home” because both Niki and the girls were ill… My boss actually said to me after this, don’t bother working from home, just take the day off and be done with it as family comes first.

Good attitude and one that I appreciated, but this was over a month ago prior to these new laws.

I did receive at work an email about work place monitoring of email.  I know that you can’t look at certain sites (you know… ‘those’ sites) but does that mean I cant read the newspaper online anymore?  Does that mean I cant look at this blog anymore as well?

I do get and send a lot of non-work emails from friends… should we stop this now?  A blanket ban?  Or is a “reasonable” amount acceptable – and if so what is reasonable?

And does all this IR stuff include me (a non-union white collar worker) or is it only for the trade unions etc etc… I am not even sure that this stuff applies to me.

So if you have an idea what this IR stuff all means, can you let me know… but don’t send me an email as we both may end up on the street!

No comments: