Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Back on track...

Well I am back at the office and of course back on the trains.  I have overslept a bit this morning (damn Daylight Saving changeover!) and have had to meet the train at Emu Plains.  I cannot believe the amount of bugs and flies that are about though.  The blowies are everywhere and with all this rain, they swarm over everyone at the train station and I can’t recall seeing so many of them.  Then on the train, the carriages are still infested with Bogan Moths that flap about the window panes all the way into the city.  All I want for Xmas is a bug swatter!

Today is Melbourne Cup day and I just cant get into this ridiculous event.  There is horse racing on every weekend all year and it never stops, yet somehow we are supposed to get excited by a single race on a Tuesday.  I appreciate the opportunity to get an hour off work to have a beer or a wine and some cheese but Jesus, do we need to have every news paper full of it?  Front page, back page, all the middle pages.   Women in ridiculous hats.  Men dressed in drag.  It drives me bonkers.  I know I sound like a whinger, but I seriously think the hype is over the top.  Makybe Diva will make a FINAL decision to run or not at midday today… seriously, we have been talking about one horse in one race for a fortnight.  Give it a rest!

On my personal front, I have found myself talking to a recruiting agent about another role at another company.  The role sounds good, possibly better than my current one, and is for better dollars.  I said they had better offer me something wonderful to consider it and gave them a astronomical ballpark.  The agent said he would let me know.  I now have an interview Thursday.  I feel uncomfortable with the whole process.  You want to sound out what you could get at another organisation.  You’re basically happy where you are now.  Yet, you don’t want to pass up a good opportunity.  To do so, you need to discretely meet with other people away from the office.  I need to fabricate reasons to duck out for 90mins.  I know that this stuff happens all the time, and I am not really thinking that I will take this opportunity, but you never know.

Still on work, after a week away, I seem to have lost my thread in a number of projects I have on the go here.  You can never pick a time to have to attend to family issues and I probably shouldn’t have been away from the office at such a critical time in a few projects.  I left Friday week back with the message to one person in particular to get something out the door on Monday.  Well I have come back, and he hasn’t lifted a finger and my boss has asked me to do it for him.  Took me an hour.  Another project I have involves getting lawyers to review contracts and they were to deliver last Monday.  I come in and find nothing on my desk.  Rang said law firm (who we pay handsomely) and am told that they have an issue and may need to ring a third party to discuss.  How long have they been sitting on this issue?  A week!  Would they have rung on their own accord? No!  Would they have rung me to discuss the issue instead of me chasing them? Hell no!  Makes you wonder how some people get by in business.

**Great now I have a fly and a Bogan Moth attacking me**

I know I have been dribbling about not so important stuff, but I do want to write something about these new anti-terror laws.  I have been deeply disturbed about the potential ramifications on all this from a civil liberties perspective (and I think the civil libertarians are generally idiots) but I want to write something that’s accurate and not a rant about conspiracy theories.  Believe me, that’s hard for me to do J

Oh, and one more thing, congrats to my friends Enoch & Anitha for “being in the family way”.  Married for not quite a year… up the duff already!  Bewdy Mate!!

No comments: