Thursday, November 24, 2005

Freaked out this morning

Well I was shitting bullets this morning.

I get on the train at Central to take me around to Kings Cross and they announce that the train will not stop at Town Hall.

At this point I notice in the vestibule with me were 3 Arab looking (long beards, funny hats) men each with a back pack on.

They start jabbering to each other in Arabic and 2 of the three got off the train at Central.

The guy left stands there as we move along. The train slows through Town Hall and he pulls out of his pocket a single A4 page that has lots of Arabic writing and seems to be a religious pamphlet.

He starts reading it out loud, but quietly to himself.

I swear I thought I was a goner!

He then puts the paper away and pulls out the mobile phone and I am now thinking of Niki and the kids...

The train pulls into Martin Place and he gets off...

I stay on and go thru to the Cross and wonder if there is something happening... but turns out it was a fire that caused the station closure.

I feel strange that I jumped to that conclusion straight away this morning. I am very against this “all Muslims are terrorists” slant the media have been spruiking, but when you get confronted with things you do start to think “is this it?”

6 comments:

Goreon said...

Very interesting post there Clay. I would almost be inclined to say something to be honest - whilst you think you may have been over reacting to this situation, the way you describe it must make me wonder if perhaps you witnessed a 'dry run' or something?

Facinating to see how people's attitude changes when they're put on the spot though...

Anonymous said...

I'm more freaked out over the change in font!

Clay said...

yeah i know... the base of this post was the email i sent to you earlier today... seems as though when i copied a plain text email to html it changed the font to courier or something... wierd huh.

Clay said...

[edit] = fixed the font!

Anonymous said...

how'd you know it was a 'religious' pamphlet?

Clay said...

Good point given that I cant read Arabic, but trust me... the guy looked like a practising Muslim and the paper had ornate borders and symbols on it and he was chanting (quietly) to himself...

I'll take a punt and say it was from the Koran.