Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Rantorama!

Whilst I am very happy with my new Blood Bowl purchase (see post below), I have had a shit morning today…

Firstly, had to pick up my car from Holden at Penrith which involved the logistical nightmare of coordinating Niki and the girls, my nephew Will (who Niki minds on Mondays & Tuesdays), my mother-in-laws heart stress test, train timetables and the bad weather.  In short though I managed to get the car easy thanks to Niki’s lift down in the rain, but then the traffic in to the city was horrendous.  The M4 was a carpark, Canada Bay and the drive up through Leichhardt was very slow, and the Glebe Island felt like a dodgem car circuit.  I then decided to take the new beaut, try before you buy, Cross City Tunnel.

What a disaster!  Sure the tunnel was great itself… given there were bugger all cars in it, but it then dumps you out at Rose Bay or Paddington and you have to cut across 4 lanes of traffic in 20 metres to get to the U-Turn bay to get you back onto William St.  This needs to happen with all of William St’s traffic (which is where the cars were – not in the tunnel) bearing down on you, wanting to get out to their left across your path as they do NOT want to get caught in the U-Turn bay!  4 lanes jam packed, nobody wanting to be in the lane that they’re in…. felt like I was driving in Bangalore!

Managed to get across without being side swiped and hit the U-Turn bay which is sequenced for traffic to turn around once for 10 seconds every 2 minutes.  About 5 cars get around before the light goes red in favour of the traffic going the other way (which are mostly heading for William St and not the tunnel!)  Trust me, it would have been easier to use the surface streets as it all took the same amount of time.  Even when its free its shithouse, imagine when you get to pay $3.56 each way for the privilege!

My second rant is a developing one but it seems we have had some counter-terrorism raids in Sydney and Melbourne this morning on some Muslims.  Thanks to the new anti-terror laws, Big Brother can now kick your door in and raid you.  I say my rant is developing because factual evidence is yet to come out (will it ever?) but if they were legitimate terrorists, so be it, but if not… well they have opened a massive can of worms…

Mind you I did see whilst at Holden waiting for my car to be brought out that they had the NSW Police Commissioner on Channel 7’s Sunrise program.  Nice that the Commish can find the time to chew the fat on tele with Kochie and Mel whilst his Storm Troopers are kicking in the doors of Citizens!...  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a Melbournite and a Worker at next years games I'm glad that, if these guys were terrorists, that they have been taken out. However, as a concerned, politically minded individual, I don't like the new laws.

It's times like this I'm glad to be caucasian. While I know this shouldn't really be the case, I feel less likely to cop abuse or segregation, which is something that really sucks.

Plus, I'm not really worried about the Commonwealth games, considering I'm working at a remote location with many many firearms. yep, the Shooting events :D