Thursday, January 19, 2006

CanCon is a week away...

I am travelling to Canberra for CanCon this time next week.  Followers of this blog will know I have been painting a team of Dwarves to take to the tournament and I am just about complete.

I have one more to do for the tournament and I have started doing the bases and then a varnish and I am all set.

The good thing is that it has turned into a bit of a family friendly event.  Given I had booked a hotel room in Canberra, Niki & the girls are going to come down as well.  The hotel room has the obligatory double bed and a set of beds for the girls so it isn’t costing anything more in accommodation.  While I am playing Blood Bowl at CanCon, Niki & the girls will do some sight seeing (Questatron, Cockington Green etc) and we will catch up for dinner after the days play.

I have settled on a line up with 6 Longbeards and 2 each of the positional Blitzers, Runners and Troll Slayers.  I am now whether to go with 4 Fan Factor and 1 Reroll or 1 Fan Factor and 2 Rerolls… I am leaning to the latter, but any blood bowlers out there with their view, let me know.

CanCon will involve 3 games on the Friday and the Saturday with a 7th game on the Sunday then presentations.  I think Friday and Saturday will be 9am – 6pm so they will be long days.

Also I am keen to check out the rest of the convention.  Apparently there is one Dungeons & Dragons session running plus all the other Games Workshop games (Warhammer, 40K etc etc).  I don’t play those, but I always like looking at the set ups for those games.  I never got into Warhammer because of the cost and effort.  I have taken weeks (months?) to paint 16 dwarves… imagine how long it would take me to do an army worth of miniatures!

I will be keen to pick up a new BB team as well for my next painting project… I have been bidding for several on eBay, but given they’re overseas and the Aussie Dollar isn’t as strong, I get easily outbidded (cant justify paying over the top just yet).  Perhaps I will find something in Canberra.

When I do finish my team, photos will follow here…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1 reroll is never enough, I ALWAYS go with minimum 2... you can hope that your opponents will have better FF to draw a decent crowd, but you can't hope that they will be able to lend you a reroll. Easy decision.

Clay said...

Good point!