Thursday, January 26, 2006

CanCon Trip Day 1 - The Trip Itself and Australia Day

Set off early this morning on my lonesome to pick up Tommy "ozjesting" Dean for the trip to Canberra.  Niki and the girls took our other car via Niki's mums place to pick her up and then they would meet Tommy & myself somewhere on the road.

The trip to Canberra was actually very pleasant and didnt seem to go long at all.  After picking up Tommy from his place near Earlwood, we jumped on the M5 and before you knew it we were past Mittagong and going all downhill.

We met up at Goulburn with Niki and the girls and then convoyed to Canberra.  Dropped Tommy at his sister in laws place around 12:30 and by one o'clock we were having lunch in the Cockington Green cafe.

Cockington Green was great, the girls loved it and it brought back memories when I came here years and years ago.  It was very hot and dry but we saw all of the exhibits and slumped under a big tree in their picnic area.  I apparently dozed off on my back, in the shade under this massive tree on the softest grass i have seen in ages... very relaxing.

Afterwards, it was onto the hotel for a quick check in and a swim... but that was not to be as our bookings were stuffed up and at first they gave us a room with just 2 beds... bit hard when there is 4 of us.  We got upgraded after much protest to the girl at the desk (one of the stoopidest i have ever encountered) and then had to arrange for my mother in law to be moved closer to where we are relocated.

Then they gave us a room on the top floor where the A/C didnt work and again we shifted.

But finally, we were settled and got into the swimmers and had a swim and a spa.

Then the highlight of the day was we went into the city proper and caught the fireworks on Lake Burley Griffin.  It was actually very pleasant to basically rock up, park the car a short walk and find a patch of grass and watch the boat races and then the fireworks... whilst it took us an hour to get out of the said carpark at the end, that was just a minor irritation.

So that ends my touristy bit... tomorrow is Game On! and I hope I get some squishy Elves or Amazons... I have changed my line up a touch.  6 Longbeards, 2 Blitzers, 2 Troll Slayers, only one runner, an apothecary, 2 rerolls and 3 Fan Factor.  The apoth should save any casualties early on (whilst team lack killer skills) and then I can pick up a Longbeard with some cash... maybe even save for a second runner, but I really think one will suffice.

Also, have finished painting Grim Ironjaw the Dwarven Star Player, so I may slot him in for the odd game (if I have a lazy $70K).

Game On!


No comments: