Sunday, January 29, 2006

Day 2 CanCon - Great Day, Can I Take The Cup?

OK, straight into the results for me today:

Game 4 - vs The Real Deal Returns (Skaven)
A game vs the very quick skaven saw me down 0-1 after 2 turns.  Skaven are the fastest things on the blood bowl pitch and against my Dwarves, which would be the slowest thing, I was in no way capable of stopping their Gutter Runners and after a neat pass, they were in.

My turn to score and again, my slow grind up the field commenced.  My opponent was no slouch though (the games are getting tougher) and he put up a great fight, but I did score to tie it up at half time via a methodical Dwarven cage.

My turn to get the ball for the 2nd half and I again I grind it up.  After only about 4 turns though, I had basically broken his back of his defence and I was able to make heaps of yardage.  I realised that this was going too easy and I decided to stall my score.  I knew if I gave him anything more than one turn he was going to score easily and tie the game up.  So I stalled.

He knew this and decided to bash and foul my team who were not involved in my stalled cage and I started to feel some pain.  Then he managed to clear his big and stupid, but very scary Rat Ogre and it then went for a kamikaze move into my cage.  It worked pretty well and I now was in real danger of being tripped up and leaving the game tied.  It took a desperate blitz move to actually shove my player into the end zone.  It wasnt graceful, but it was a win none the less.

Game 5 - vs SOME JERK (Orcs)

I am going to write about this game when I get back to Sydney.  Let me say this - when I went to shake hands with my opponent at the end of the game (which I won 2-1), he slapped my hand away.  I totally outplayed this jerk who was around 60yrs old yet was the most irritable, childish, selfish, rude prick I have ever met.  This one will get its own post.  Let me say I gave the guy a zero for sportsmanship.

Game 6 - vs The Stumps of Doom (Necromantic)

Necro teams are themed on the classic horror of undead, zombies, werewolves and flesh golems (Frankensteins).  They are scary because they're incredible resilient (being undead) and the wolves are nasty.  Being Game 6 and now currently running 3rd out of 40, this team was also good.   To cut a long story short, he scored quickly, I ground back for the 1-1 score at half time (see my pattern here) and then scored again, but only in four turns!  The reason was he was decimating my team and I was actually doing more casualties but his kept regenerating!  My Dwarves were bashing away, but these zombies and golems kept coming back.

I then had to defend for four turns with only 11 dwarves left (2 were badly hurt) and in the first turn after kickoff, he seriously injured my best blitzer, stunned 2 longbeards and knocked out another.

With 7 dwarves left, I held the line with great luck.  Then he made a really bad move and left himself exposed and I had a shot on the werewolf with the ball.  No luck and I was the one that fell over.

He screamed through the backfield and nearly scored but couldnt quite reach the endzone.  I put my lone Runner onto him to mark him, but didnt have enough movement to hit him.  He frenzied, I dodged and dodged again which meant he had to dodge away from me to score.  I had played freaky defence to stop him so far and he needed a 3 or better on a dice to dodge away and draw the game.  He did so and that was that - 2 all.

So with one game to play tomorrow, I have 4 wins, a draw and a loss.  Nobody is 6-0 and everyone has dropped some points.  I think if I win my last game by two touchdowns, I may actually win the whole damn thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He was a total tic-tac Clay. I'd rather play euro trash!

Sadly tho i had the same record as you (5/1/1) the borked points system ended my forcs on 9th.

But they will return and Paris will shine again!

danielcollins