Monday, January 23, 2006

Late Post Today - Should Have Stayed In Bed

Overslept today… had a few too many beers at the Glenbrook Bowling Club and add a few late nights, I ended up turning my alarm off (rather than snooze) when it went off this morning.  I woke up at 7:15am… which is good considering my train left at 7:10am….

Wasn’t even going to make the late train (7:35am) so I decided to drive….

Hey presto, a motorcycle fatality closes the highway at Glenbrook that meant that anyone west of me has no access to the freeway.  I get caught in a queue of about 20 cars trying to use the back streets to divert around the accident so this turns my 3 min trip to the freeway into 20.

Travelling down the M4, the freeway is a carpark and it takes me 40mins to get to Eastern Creek.  The “Eye In The Sky” traffic guy on Triple M describes the M4 as “moving like a dream” and that its only 35mins from Penrith to Strathfield.  Considering it had taken me 40mins to move a third of that distance, I felt the sudden need to blow his helicopter out of the sky with a rocket launcher.

Finally the freeway opens up a bit and I get through the toll gates and all seems well until I get close to the end of the Freeway in which my friend in the helicopter informs me that another major prang has closed Parramatta Road at Five Dock and that traffic is a mess… so with a sense of futility I drive smack bang into another mess.

Basically crawl all the way into work with people criss-crossing everywhere down the side streets of Five Dock / Leichhardt and I get to the Anzac Bridge and the traffic is a complete nightmare over it.  I decide to bugger the queue into the city and take the evil Cross City Tunnel to William St.  I fly under the city and traffic easily (paying the massive toll I presume, but my e-Tag doesn’t beep??) and I get to the other end and U-Turn it back into the city up William St.  I then get caught in more lights, but finally reach my car park at 9:15am…. not too bad considering, but I now know why I don’t drive… complete nightmare on the nerves…

No comments: