Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Crowds

I don’t know what it is, but ever since the new train timetable, the crowds on the trains have increased dramatically.  I have gone from having the pick of the carriage at Glenbrook and getting my same seat every day to scrambling to get on and find a seat at all.  At Emu Plains, which is 2 stops away and is traditionally the place where the train fills up, the crowds on the platform have gotten larger and of course because there aren’t even any seats at Glenbrook, many people are forced to stand.

In addition, like yesterday, they will throw in the odd day in which there will only be 6 cars instead of 8.  People couldn’t even get on the train yesterday let alone a seat!

Is Sydney getting overcrowded or is it because of the infrastructure not being there to support what we have?  Where I live its been pretty stable, there aren’t any massive new developments in the Mountains that would warrant a huge population increase, and at the moment the whole travel thing is really giving me the shits.  There was a time in which the distance I had to travel was compensated by the fact I had a nice comfortable train and a spot to hang my coat.

Not anymore, the trains are packed, it impacts the effectiveness of the AirCon (and I know I am even lucky to have A/C) and people instead of quietly snoozing or reading are quietly seething.  Not so pleasant anymore.

There is an earlier train that leaves at 6:50am that I may now try and get because the 7:10am is now just shithouse.

/rant off.

Listening:  The Last of My Midnight Oil Collection – 116 songs from 12 albums/EP’s… 7 ½ hours worth!

No comments: