Friday, February 10, 2006

Double Post Today - To Windows XP or to Not Windows XP

I have “acquired” a full version of Windows XP complete with a Key Code.

It says on the disk “only to be used with a new Dell PC” and I don’t have a Dell PC let alone a new one, so I am a bit bemused as to whether I should upgrade my PC or not?

I also don’t have an original copy of Windows 98SE (my current OS) and hence if I destroy my PC by bodgying up the upgrade, then I wont be able to roll back to Win98SE.

I am also concerned that all my hardware has 98SE drivers and that I may not be able to use things like the monitor, printer, modem etc etc.

Am I validly concerned?  Is XP all that important (I cant use iPods etc at the moment because it needs XP) or should I stick to Win98SE until I do make a new PC purchase – which could be a while.

Anyone who has any advice, please let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

XP or not to XP...

As someone who spent a while considering that very question heres my two centimes worth.

Had a great but very expensive on consumables Lexmark printer pre XP. Post XP, Lexmarkie no work and no drivers upgraded to XP for it availaible, so veery sad. XP may not handle some of your peripherals. Recommend that if tis something you want t keep using search manufacturers website for xp drivers first. I replaced my old printer curiously with a $60 HP cheapie that surprised me by doing a very adequate job for a crap load less in consumables but stil was something i wa snot impressed about.

XP handles different to win98se. I was very uncomfortabnle with it at first and still find bits of it very annoying, most especially as I am probably not that techo minded, a computer is a tool not something i tinker with, im no mechanic, i sometimes dont know why its done what its done or even how only that it has and i need to live with it and get on playing fumbbl...

on the this is supplied for a new Dell pc business that just means you will have a lot of dell logos and shite to wade through on your PC if you use it. It should just means it defaults some dell background graphics and shite like that.

"If its not broke don't fix it"

If you comfortable with what ya got and its doing everything ya need wait till you get a new one. But if it wont do what ya need take the plaunge, give it a go abnd see what happens. Just maybe se if you can find the backup feature for 98 first ......

Anonymous said...

When it was time for me to change from win98 to xp, I pondered on these questions which may be valid to you:

How many win98 programs you will lose access to when you upgrade to xp?
How many programs will you gain access to after the upgrade?
If you find that you have more productivity after the upgrade then by all means do so.
It doesn't help if you don't have something to fall back on if you botched up the installation... :(