Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Tuesday Morning

No real news or rant today, just a few floating thoughts…

Firstly, my toe seems to be improving.  I still cant bend it nor can I put weight on it, but I am getting around a bit easier… the bruising is coming out and all my toes now have a purplish hue.  Nice.  At least the foot fetishists are leaving me alone now J

Train today is again 6 cars (instead of 8).  I don’t understand how this happens.  Where are the missing 2 cars?  Do they go on strike?  Did they meet a couple of sleek XPT carriages last night and didn’t come home?  Seriously, how can the 2 cars go missing?  I have a seat, there are no seats left and we have to pick up a stack of people at Emu Plains & Penrith yet.

I am on the late train because I stayed up late to watch the Super Bowl on replay.  I avoided the media yesterday successfully and therefore didn’t know who won, so I was watching it “live” so to speak.  I love the NFL, am a Redskins fan and was cheering for the Steelers, but it was hardly the most exciting game ever.  Seattle just never got into a rhythm and Pittsburgh were clearly the more dominate team… The half time show was strange.  The Rolling Stones are incredibly old, and I thought the sound was horrendous, but Mick Jagger did drop a funny one-liner when he said leading into “Satisfaction” that “we could have played this at Super Bowl I”.  At first you laugh and then you do the math and then you realise he’s right… scary.

And Keith Richards is a walking corpse.

I bought a couple of D&D books at CanCon  you may recall, but I actually downloaded two more via Limewire last night as well.  The Players Guide to Faerun and the Ebberon Campaign Setting.  50 and 75 MB pdfs respectively.  I love this new broad band plan I have, only when you get off Telstra do you realise how bad it really is.  I also read yesterday in the smh.com.au tech section that Telstra is planning to raise its onselling prices to other broadband carriers.  This will mean a raw $10 month price increase across the board, no matter who your provider is.

I see this as a clear ploy by Telstra to reduce the flow of customers going away from them.  I upgraded to a 10GB, 1500MPs plan for the same price as my old 500MB, 512Kps but when people who are perhaps not tech savvy or are price sensitive realise that this same upgrade would be $10 more expensive, it will stop some people switching.  Really, how can it cost Telstra “more” money to rent their lines to alternative carriers?  The ACCC should look at that one.

That’s about it, people are standing in the aisles now on the train…. good on ya CityRail.

No comments: