Friday, February 17, 2006

A Win For Us Baby Murderers

Well Tony Abbott was defeated and all I can say is thank goodness common sense prevailed.  Whilst the media covered Peter Costello’s personal experience in greater detail, I think the argument against Abbott was summed up very succinctly in a 10sec newsbyte I saw yesterday. “It is an issue about common sense.  The Minister does not have the technical expertise to make this judgement”.  Very true and I am glad that the religious views of one man (even though he is the minister) have been defeated but Big Kim opens up a whole new can of worms – do Ministers in Parliament now need to have technical qualifications to make the decisions that they need to make?  OK, so Abbott isn’t medically trained but he’s the Health Minister.  Do we need a medical doctor in that role?  Treasury – do we need a highly qualified economist?  Agriculture – do we need a farmer??

Yes, interesting dilemma and perhaps one that needs to be perhaps given some thought.  If John Howard does have a medical person in his party, should he be elevated post haste to the role of Health Minister?  I reckon he’d do a better job than that TOOL Abbott.

Moving away from things political, it is Friday and the weekend beckons.  No playing cricket, so the Saturday will be spent around the house, fixing Dad’s computer (installing an Ethernet card and connecting to ADSL) and then dinner with friends Glenn & Brooke.  Sunday will be a lazy day, Kate has a party I ‘think’ in the morning, and then I will try today to secure tickets to the soccer semi-final Sydney FC vs Adelaide.  I am taking the girls and I think I am buying a family pass for the three of us and my mate Noyz.  No jokes about same sex marriages please!

Work today will hopefully pass swiftly… but after taking yesterday off to see various doctors for my foot, I am sure to be back logged.

Listening:  Lenny Kravitz Greatest Hits

1 comment:

Chunky said...

Its a pretty common problem right through our political system. Technical knowledge and reasoning is in the end subservient to political agendas.