Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Its official - I am a Cube Farm Resident

I work in an office.  You know, the open plan types that are made fun of in Dilbert cartoons.  I used to have an office, but that was gutted to make way for workstations due to growth.  I actually prefer workstations because I felt like I was in a fish bowl at work in an office.  Now its all open banter across the partitions and its pretty good.

Of course the neighbouring departments are now closer as a result so the social activity and banter between my department and our neighbours HR and Payroll has increased.

Which as a result means that all birthdays are celebrated with a cake where loads of people stand around the corridors and share the cake and sing a verse or two of the Happy Birthday song.

The strange thing this morning was that I got an invite for “Birthday Cake For Liz” at 10:30.  The issue is I didn’t know who Liz was.  I accepted.  At 10:30 a cake was promptly presented in the slightly open area where cake is traditionally shared.  The boss of HR made a short speech for Liz on behalf of her birthday, we sang and then a girl who I had never seen before in my life said thanks and I shared a piece of blueberry cheesecake.

Now we disperse and I look over the cube farm around me, and I still cant see this girl “Liz”.  I feel might weird I have just celebrated the birthday of an alleged colleague I have never met and who even now I have no idea where she site.

Welcome to the work place of the New Millennium.

No comments: