Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Night Time Scavenger

Short post this morning as I slept on the train for a change and am now in the office.

Our pile of junk on the front lawn is reducing and looks less than a quarter of what I originally put out on Saturday.  The timber is gone, the beds are gone, the bike(s) are gone, the TV is gone.  I am amazed by the amount of stuff taken by others and at this rate, nothing will be left by the time the council does come around to collect.

Having said that, I took the dog for a walk last night at around 11pm.  I like to walk at night, particularly late, as there is no traffic around and the bats and other night creatures are out and about.  About half way home though, I walked past someone else’s pile of junk and noticed an office chair sitting amongst it.  I looked at it under the street light and it looked OK and I sat on it and it didn’t break… I gave it a wobble and I picked it up and looked under it and it all seemed ok.

So I grabbed it and walked home with it.  I would have looked a sight as here I was at about 11:15pm, in the dark, walking a golden retriever whilst carrying an office chair.  It was hefty and after a while my back started to hurt, but I got it home.

In the light of my garage, it was missing its roller casters (easily replaceable) and a bolt in the undercarriage is missing which causes the arm rests to move more than they should.  Again, fixable.

So there junk became my bargain… I wonder why we don’t do this more often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sad man. You have just taken to next step to becoming a type of person you used to laugh at when you were young. Collecting other people's garbage. God help Nikki and the kids.

Clay said...

Hey! When the rising cost of fuel bites and the interest rates going up, there will only be a matter of time before you're scrounging the Blair Athol Aldi for bargains too!

Plus with one on the way mate, you better not get too picky!

:-)