Friday, June 09, 2006

Lets leave our talking on the pitch...

Friday before the long weekend… Unfortunately I am quite flat out at work today so I will be trying to get a lot done before knock off time so I can be “work free” on the weekend.  Not that I do any work on weekends as a matter of principle, but I don’t want to be worried what is due on Tuesday.

The plans for the weekend are sketchy at best.  I need to buy some suit pants to replace the ones that have worn out (jacket is fine, because you only wear it 10% of the time you were the pants) and I have to get some dry cleaning done and I think we need to buy a vacuum cleaner – this is all riveting stuff hey, but it is all merely “filler” between watching the World Cup!  2am start for Germany v Costa Rica.  I am determined to watch it and hopefully see the Costa Ricans put up a good show.

Also news this morning that al-Qaeda leader in Iraq Al-Zaqawi (sp?) has been killed in his house via a US missile strike.  Identified by “fingerprints, facial recognition and scars” he has been pronounced dead.  Funny how they do that and yet the most common methods of verifying the owner of a now dead body by dental records and DNA were not used.  I guess Al-Zaqawi wasn’t big on tooth decay and regular check ups.

What struck me as odd was that George Bush and Tony Blair both staged elaborate press conferences in front of the world’s media and had carefully sculpted words.  In Australia, we got a flustered looking Alexander Downer in the spotlight of a mobile news crew looking like he was just coming out of a theatre.  Whether it was the ballet or a peep show theatre is unclear, but you know what I mean.  Why wasn’t Howard up there giving “the word according to George”?  If we’re such a big player on the world stage of the War on Terror ™ then why isn’t our leader putting his own nuts on the line?

(*LOL* As I write this, the Cure’s “Killing An Arab” has just come on shuffle play – an omen perhaps!)

My point is that we really are a two bit western nation in terms of “targets for terrorism” and despite Lexy Downer doing the sabre rattling, we are not a priority for attack.  But the more that we grandstand and big note ourselves on the world stage, the more that we’ll bring unnecessary attention to us.

Anyway, enough of the heavy political stuff… I’ll go back to dreaming of Australian World Cup Glory!  Forza Socceroos’!

 

No comments: