Thursday, October 12, 2006

Holidays Aren't What They Used To Be.

Coming back to work on a Wednesday is a weird feeling and it has thrown my body clock out of whack – but a good kind of whack as I realise today is Thursday and the weekend isn’t far away.

Yesterday’s first day in the office was horrendous as I have a bad head cold and am stuffed up badly and I spent 5 hours in meetings with externals and another 2 hrs in meetings with my own department.  All I could think of was the ever building pile of emails in my inbox.  That’s the price you pay for holidays in the modern age.  Your incoming work remains unattended to in your inbox and “urgent” messages remain unanswered from 2 weeks ago and instead of the sender reading your out of office reply stating you wont be back for 2 weeks and taking their issue to someone else, they simply wait for you to return.

“Yes my message is urgent but I can wait two weeks”.  So you come back and there is a queue.  A queue of emailers and now because the office runs with VoIP, all my voice mails are in my inbox as well.  I had checked in on emails periodically during my holiday, but really it was for personal reasons – emails from friends and my Diplomacy games were the main reasons I would log in.  All the work stuff I left and now I had about 400 unread emails.

A quick cull of these by removing office notices, work related spam, meeting invites and some of the mailing lists I subscribe to saw this number come down to 180 – amazing how much crap you get.  Then I managed to deal with 30 or so emails during the day and on the way home last night I worked on the laptop and got that down to 103.

Today though my calendar is clear, and I plan on sifting through the remaining 100+ and of course the stuff that has come in overnight and clear up.  By then, it will be the weekend!

Next week, I should be able to start the week on an even footing, but I think I’ll need a holiday again!  LOL.

 

No comments: