Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween In Australia...

Last night was Halloween did any of you dear readers get a knock on the door from kids looking for lollies? We only got one door knock from the kids across the road, but then my girls actually did go out with some school friends and tricked and treated around our suburb. Kate dressed as a witch and Brookie as Cinderella went around and door knocked. I got home from work during this and I went walking around the block trying to find them and didn’t see a soul. Mind you it was quarter to nine at this stage and probably too late. However one house had a jack-o-lantern on the front verandah and the girls did come home at 9:30 loaded to the nines with lollies and chips. One person even gave Kate, Brooke and their friends a $20 note!!

Niki said that whilst people were friendly and had stuff to give she felt very awkward knocking on doors, but the kids loved it. But why are we doing this? Even the media seems to be partially behind it and twice I have heard the story its not American, its actually British. What crap yes, it probably is a celebration brought to America by British settlers on the Mayflower, but this doesn’t mean we in Australia need to celebrate it. Do the Americans celebrate the Queens Birthday like we do yes, its British, but this bad logic doesn’t apply to them. Why do we need to follow American tradition and excuse it on the basis it originated in the UK? Seems like another case of Americanism gone wrong

Having said that I didn’t mind having a few chockies courtesy of the neighbours last night!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

who cares where it comes from, Halloween is great fun! It's always been one of my favorite holidays. Great when I was a kid, and played pranks and trick or treated, great as an adults with cool themed parties and girls in sexy costumes, and now great again as a Dad, seeing my little girl get all dressed up and excited.

You Aussies don't know what your missing!

Have a Spooktacular Halloween!

Anonymous said...

it's not from england, it's from scotland and/or ireland if I recall correctly. had it been british we would celebrate it here.

-OB

Anonymous said...

Agree with fool! This is one of the few "all fun" holidays...and as an Undead coach clay you should revel in it! That said...we had a social function to attend last night and soo I just stayed quiet on the whole idea of costumes, trick or treating etc. Of course I overlooked the educational value of TV...thus I had to deal with an extremly upset Asher who wailed on for an hour "WHY didn;t you buy me a Halloween suit Daddy?!? I should be out getting lollies RIGHT NOW!!!"

I am a bad Dad and a worse American :/

Richard said...

Yeah, I used to love Halloween as a kid (we did celebrate it in Hong Kong). Who gives a damn if the Americans make a big deal about it, it's still loads of fun!