Friday, January 19, 2007

Torrents and Vassal

Friday… each individual day has dragged on this week, but all up I think the week has gone quickly.  Can’t really believe that tomorrow’s Saturday and I have cricket on again…

Will be a bit quiet too next week – it’s a 4 day week and my boss has taken more annual leave to head to Ireland for his father’s 90th birthday.  Some of my external service providers are also still on leave and its looking very very quiet.

Niki is heading out tonight to her girlfriends and I had offered to download the entire Season 2 of Desperate Housewives for her and her friends to watch.  That was pre-Xmas and I have been downloading this damn 8.5Gb file since then.  For some reason my BitComet client really refuses to download greater than 4kb/sec and despite the odd burst to 12kb/sec it has taken me since pre-Xmas (taking out the days I was away on hols) to get to 80% of the file downloaded.  I have checked all the settings and can’t see why something with 50odd seeds and 2500+ peers downloads so slowly…  Anyone who is a torrent user and has any advice, let me know.

Still on technology, I was playing around with VASSAL last night (http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php) which is a great way to play a variety of board games.  A Java based application that allows you to click and drag around game pieces on a board and is extensively used by war gamers and some other board games.  Has a dice engine and all the other things that go into games and looks very promising.  There is a thread on Vassal in the Lime Kettle forums if you’re interested in playing.

No comments: