Thursday, March 01, 2007

More Breakages

Had a whine about things breaking yesterday but the problems continue! My laptop today was in the hands of helpdesk for 2hrs this morning as I seem to have been dropped off the network.

To try and put this into laymans terms, my profile wasn’t registered on the network and I had received directly from Microsoft a whole bunch of updates for Windows XP that weren’t meant to be received by people at my work. So instead of getting the updates that were compatible for our network via our server, I got a swag of them direct and a couple in particular screw around with the XML settings in and as such rendered a lot of my email system useless.

It also raised a massive issue with network security that my PC was connected directly to Microsoft and not through the firewalled server. That’s a no-no apparently! ;-)

In addition, I wasn’t able to roll back these changes because as soon as I did that I was bombarded with warnings from Microsoft that my PC wasn’t patched properly. So I had to have my security reset, my Windows rolled back, my automatic update settings tweaked and that took about 2hrs.

I am a walking technical black hole at the moment!

I might stay in bed tomorrow….

PS – the plumbing is out on some floors of the building and my floors toilets are one of the few levels that are working… so we’re getting a lot of traffic on our floor as people pop up for a Number 2!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

they pop up for a plop down?