Thursday, June 21, 2007

Flu Shots

Work supplied anyone who wanted one with a flu shot on Tuesday and I, for the first time in my life, had one...

At 10:30am, I had the shot and by 3pm that afternoon, was starting to feel really crap.  Then when I woke up yesterday morning, all was well and I haven't had any issues since.

It is a funny concept though... the fact that the human race has been in existance for millions of years (or since 7000BC if you ask a creationist) and has survived ice ages and tropical conditions and we now decide in the last few decades that it would be wise to jab ourselves with the flu virus to prevent the flu?

Why is this so?  Why do we feel compelled to immunise against a relatively minor ailment?  Is it "just because we can" and if so, will this do some long term harm to our evolution as a species?  Again, if you're a creationist, the answer is No...

Anyways, I was jabbed, felt a bit off, am over it and have moved on... but it makes you wonder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've gotten the flu shot two years in a row and gotten sick within a week of getting it each time.

Never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

The flu isn't as benign as we often like to think. I get my flu shot each year, not because I won't survive a bout of it, but because I wouldn't want to cause the death of the infants, immuno-suppressed, or elderly I meet in my day-to-day life.
Plus, I hate the pile of work waiting after three days of sick leave.