Thursday, August 30, 2007

Adelaide - The Land That Time Forgot

Went to Adelaide...
 
Wow.
 
I had been there before, but really for just the day for work... this trip I spent the best part of 3 days there and because of the nature of the work I was therefore, spent most of that time out in the suburbs at a place called Mawson Lakes.
 
After spending the time there, I got the real feeling that the place was still hanging on to the 1970's.  I saw so many long haired / long moustached guys in flannellette shirts and tight jeans that I thought I was in some sort of old Clint Eastwood movie.  The place was dusty, cars were old / dusty (I know we're in drought, but more so than Sydney) and the place was full of hoons running up and down the street.  The number of cars running around without mufflers was amazing.
 
The cabbies were also a rare breed.  One of my colleagues is Vietnamese and the first cabbie we got made mention that he too was Chinese.  The problem was he looked Greek to me...  he kept chatting in some form of asian language, but we all agreed he was jibbering nonsence and was a bit mentally unstable.

Then that brought us to the fact that Adelaide is the murder capital of Australia and that stories of Snow Town came up... at one point Snow Town was mentioned in a cab and the cabbie hit the brakes and said "dont mention that out the front of the church"... and yes, we were driving past a church at the time.
 
Having said all that the Hotel was great (the Rooftop Majestic on the corner of Rundle and Frome) and we had some good food between all the meetings.  In particular we had dinner at The Manse, which was very nice.  Not normally a fan of French cuisine, but it was good...
 
Tomorrow, is Canberra....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

remember, it's just Yass with poofters.

GO