After having a two day business trip to Melbourne, when it comes to getting home you really do wish to be able to teleport back…
Yesterday though I had “one of those days”…
- Booked on the 6pm flight, I miss the check in window by 4 minutes (I had luggage… if I didn’t I could have gotten on).
- Was rebooked into the 6:30pm flight and I go to the gate to wait…
- Boarding time was supposed to be at 6:10pm, but nothing seems to be happening.
- 6:40pm, I observe all the flight crew walk off the plane… not a good sign.
- 6:45pm… announcement that due to mechanical difficulties, the flight is CANCELLED. Please proceed to Gate 21 for re-ticketing… I join a stampede from Gate 24 to 21!
- I am booked into the 8:30pm flight and I head to the Qantas Club lounge… lounge is packed and I have to queue to get a bite to eat and a drink!
- Boarding was supposed to be 8:10pm… no word however.
- 8:30pm, we’re invited to go to the gate… Whilst we were told it was to be Gate 7, it has been moved to Gate 1. Confusion reigns.
- Get to Gate 1… it is closed. Nobody is boarding.
- 8:40pm… commence boarding, I am actually 3rd person to board and get my seat.
- At this stage, I have finished the novel I bought on Sunday and now have nothing to read.
- 9pm, plane backs away from the gate… much apologising is taking place over the PA system.
- 9:15pm… we take off.
- 10:30pm… we land… seemed to be “descending” for ages. Flight time was announced to being 53mins but it clearly has taken longer.
- 10:45pm, after I had a window seat, it takes an age to get off and get to the baggage carousel. No bags…
- 11:00pm… My luggage isn’t there and after everyone goes, myself and about 10 other passengers are informed that our luggage is on the flight landing now… they split the 6:30 luggage over two flights.
- 11:30pm… I have my luggage… I am in a cab… at this time of night and the fact he is a speedy driver it only takes 45mins to get home… Cab fare $190.
- 12:30am… zzzzzz