Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Week Off, Tour Guide

Am back at work and have had my mum & dad visiting us from Sydney last week, this week and next week.

I took the first week off to play the role of tour guide and was able to show mum & dad around the main sites of Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

I guess the highlight of the trip so far, at least from my perspective, was to be able to go up the world's highest structure - the Burj Khalifa - and be able to see my new home town from the 124th floor.  The viewing was excellent and it really gave a new perspective on how Dubai looks from up on high.

I should point out though that the Burj Khalifa is in excess of 200 stories tall and it was a very strange feeling to be so high up in the sky but then to be able to look up from the observation deck and still see a further 80 stories above you!

In addition to the Burj, we were able to go to the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque once again in Abu Dhabi and that place still impresses me even though it was my third trip... I also took mum & dad out to Jebel Hafeet in Al Ain to climb the mountain.  It was a work day when we went though and hence pretty quiet but it was a good drive in the countryside.

Of course, we have also done the 4WD sand dune bashing and that was good fun... mum screamed and laughed the whole way so that was pretty funny in itself.

Now, am back at work though and have left mum & dad to their own devices and they'll explore the old part of town and check out the souq's.

On other news, our dear old dog Zoe is starting to really show her age and I am really worried that we'll have to soon "make the call".  Her mobility has decreased dramatically this last week and she has had two injections to try and get the arthritis pain to subside but they haven't been too effective.  She's over 12yrs old and I am very sad about it as she has been a part of our family for so long and the girls have grown up with her.  But dogs, no matter how loving and loyal they are, have relatively short life spans and old Zoe is now starting to do it tough.  :-(


No comments: