Thursday, July 21, 2005

Pigs May Fly...

Train is very late this morning… about 10 minutes.  I think that is still “on time” according to State Rail.

I met my new housemates last night (see previous post) and the little piggies are settling in well.  Little Rosie sat on my lap last night as I watched tele and not a single poop pellet was deposited on my clothes.  Niki got a brochure from the pet story and it contains little Guinea Pig facts and instructions on how to care for them.  For example:

GUINEA PIG FACT:  Guinea Pigs don’t need to have their cages cleaned very much as they eat their own faecal matter for extra nutrients.

OK…. So they eat their own poop to get the required daily dietary requirements.  But weren’t these “dietary requirements” in their bodies anyway before they became poop?

This brings me on to the next topic – Water Desalinisation.

Water Desalinisation is expensive and does have some harmful environmental side effects I believe.  But the fact is we live in an arid country “girt by sea”.  The United Arab Emerites is 99% desert and has no water restrictions (the remaining 1% being golf courses with rich, lush fairways).  Why?  Why are citizens of the UAE able to take long showers, wash their cars AND water their gardens??  Because they desalinise the water.

Bob Carr, albeit 20 years late, is proposing to build such a facility, but the leftie wowser greenie types (i.e. the local residents of the proposed site) are up in arms.  But is there an alternative?

Yes.

We can drink our own sewage!  Huzzah!  Yes it can be done and is less costly and more environmentally friendly but the perception is a bit on the nose…  I personally don’t have a problem with it.  I may buy an extra filter for the kitchen bench, but if it is found to be free of harmful bacteria, I shall raise my glass of clear sewage water to Mr Carr and drink up.

On other news, the Ashes starts tonight and I am very excited… there will be little sleep coming my way over the next couple of months.  These daily postings may become shorter as I use my train journey for sleep.

However, I wont see the first session of the test tonight as I am off to see War of the Worlds.  I am very keen to see it (despite the midget in the lead role) as I was a big fan of the old “radio play” that was on LP back in the late 70’s / early 80’s.  I presume it will be drastically butchered from that, but still I have to see it…

I will also be seeing it at the Glenbrook Community Theatre and shame on Blue Mountains Council for announcing this quaint little theatre with 30 years of history will be shutdown so that the local high school kids can do theatre sports there.

Gotta go… trains come to a screeching halt for no reason.  Its going to be a long trip.

 

1 comment:

Goreon said...

Odd that you mention that actually, because my rabbit has a habit of doing that too... most disconcerting when he chows down a poop and then wants to come and give you a lick!

Pets are great, aren't they? ;)