Friday, July 22, 2005

Sleep? Who needs it!

After seeing War of the Worlds last night (see other post for a review) I got home to find the Aussie cricketers in disarray.  6/150 and on the back foot.  This turned very quickly into being 190 all out and I would have gone to bed had it not been for the fact that McGrath would be opening the bowling on 499 test wickets.  So I watched the start of the England innings and was disappointed that they made it to tea without loss.  The clock read 12:20am and I decided to stick it out and see McGrath’s post tea spell.

And I am glad I did!  What an effort.  I was mesmerised as McGrath dismantled the England top order with 5 wickets in 40 minutes.  Brett Lee was great at the other end too and missed the edge of the bat and / or stumps by whiskers on numerous occasions, but it was McGraths bowling that kept me awake until 1:30am.  The wickets of Vaughn and Flintoff especially were great balls as was the wicket of Ian Bell.  To get 5 wickets, 3 of them bowled against he top 5 batsmen of a good side like England’s is remarkably.

I went to bed finally when Lee was taken off and Gillespie came on and the score was 5/30.  Sure the Poms put on another 60 runs, but they still lost 2 more wickets and we now have the upper hand…

The consequence of all this is a distinct lack of sleep (even by my standards) but it was sure worth it!

“Ooh Aah Glenn McGrath! Say Ooh Aah Glenn McGrath!”

No comments: