Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Gone Fishin'

Back on the trains again today, after my driving in on Monday and my working from home yesterday.  I have an early meeting this morning and thought I would get a jump start and get the 6:56am train to work.  This train is known as the Fish.  I don’t think I have ever mentioned it, but my normal train (the 7:10am) is known as the Chips.  Get it… the Fish and the Chips…

I don’t know why they are called this, but they have been for many many years.  Even on the old timetables they used to print “The Fish” and “The Chips”.  When I was going to uni, at Central the old indicator boards used to call them by their names.

I however simply refer to them as “late”.  Makes it easier to remember….

Bit of trivia for you… it was the Fish that was involved in the Granville rail disaster…

But I am glad to be back on the train and heading into the office today… Working from home just doesn’t suit me as there are way too many distractions.  I like working in an office and having the proverbial water cooler chats rather than at home in my study.  I did have to sit on in my departments fortnightly meeting to discuss the current projects and I sat on my mobile phone for an hour and a half…  I couldn’t use the land line as the portable phone has a battery life of less than 10minutes and the wall phone in the kitchen would mean I had to contend with the kids etc etc.  So I sat with a mobile to my ear for 90 minutes… will probably get a tumour now…. :-(

I caught on the news this morning as I was getting dressed that there was some sort of militant Islamic tape issued which has a man ranting on about “infidels” and the like whilst holding an AK-47 and wearing a balaclava.  I didn’t catch the story, but the guy had a really ocker Aussie accent… Apparently it was aired in Afghanistan and had Arabic writing on the screen (subtitles?).

This cant be real as any Aussie Muslim extremist would use terms like “yeah right maate” and “fully sick bro” and make mention of the Bulldogs not making the 8… “dat’s Bullshit maate!”

This guy was a real beer and Winnie Reds Aussie… surely it has to be a fake.  I will be interested to see if it makes the papers today…

 

1 comment:

Goreon said...

My train was the usual late today itself actually.

I've actually closed my personal blog site because I seem to spend all my time ranting on it and it makes less than interesting reading for the most part. I know you stopped in regularly, but I think other people must have gotten a little turned off and left. lol.

I do have a pretty big axe to grind though. I'm something of a traditionalist living in a society that's left most of it behind and it makes my blood boil about half the things that go on (and get away) in Australia on a regular basis.

I guess my perfect world just isn't compatible with the real one around me. ;)