Friday, August 19, 2005

Testing my faith...

There is a saying that people who live in the Blue Mountains belong in one of “the Three R’s - Retired, Religious or Retarded”.  It is a common saying and one that I have used regularly as a standing joke given that I am not retired, nor am I religious so that makes me….

But now I believe it more than ever, and this is not a joke.

Kate goes to the local infants school and is in a kindergarten class of 16 kids.  In the half a year she has been going, it is clear to us of the 15 other kids, 14 of them belong to families who would be considered “religious”.  I define religious as those that seriously believe in God and attend churches on a regular basis.  I should also point out at this point that I personally don’t necessarily consider myself an atheist, but I seriously do doubt the need for organised, ritual attendance to a church as an indicator of faith.

The school is a great little school, but it is quite clear that of the 14 religious kids in Kate’s class, well over half of them belong to families that I would consider “hard core” religious families which I define as families that attend church more than once a week and espouse the virtues of Christianity to anyone who cares to listen.  Normally, I am the type of person who is of the “live and let live” creed, but it is clear now that we are half way through the school year that religion is THE topic of the kids in the playground.  Some may say I am paranoid but some examples of what I call over the top religious behaviour include:

·          Kids asking my wife “Do you know God?” whilst she is volunteering to host reading groups in the classroom.

·          Show And Tell becoming a session where kids show to their classmates their new bible that they got for their birthdays

·          The other non-religious girl in the class reporting back that one mother plays sing-a-long Christian songs as they go home from school.

·          Kids unable to concentrate on the topic of the day (Zoo Animals) because they want to debate religious matters (Jesus died for us, why?)

·          Photographs of a Zoo Excursion coming back with kids clasping their hands in a prayer pose like some sort of group prayer session when under the supervision of what I would consider to be the most religious of the parents.

·          One girl not able to commence her day without reciting at her bedside her “devotions” which are apparently written up on posters on her bedroom wall.

And all of this talk has now rubbed off on Kate who is asking about Church, what is religion, why don’t we go, why don’t I have a bible, can I have a bible… etc etc.  My point is that she is only just 6 years old.  She shouldn’t have to contend with such heavy theological questions and be subjected to what is essentially peer group and parental pressure.  This post is not an “anti religious” statement, however I am now concerned that she is being subjected to more and more “indoctrination” that is starting to impact our household.

But what do we do about it?  You can bet your bottom dollar that if we spoke out against all this publicly, Kate would be isolated socially from birthday parties and the like and there is no way I want to jeopardise her reputation amongst her class mates (who are good kids essentially).  Am I worrying too much?  Is it all a “phase” and all the kids will tone down the religious debates in good time?

Why cant kindergarten just be about Finger Painting and Vegemite Sandwiches and lets leave the lifestyles that people lead at home…

 

3 comments:

Chunky said...

That sort of thing really shits me to tears actually. I agree, live and let live. The problem is the hardcore christian types aren't willing to do this, they have to try and convert peopple.

As far as I'm concerned, people are either mature and intelligent enough to make their own decision, or should be left well enough alone until they are.

Goreon said...

Yeah, it's definitely a tough call.

I'm personally an agnostic, although my children are being raised as Catholic by default until they reach an age where they can make their own choices (as the rest of the family is catholic).

They go to a local public school where there's a lot of mixed cultures and as such, religion is not harped on as only a small percentage of children in any one class will be part of any one particular faith.

So we're in a fortunate position where my 5 year old has had some exposure, but nothing like what you're experiencing at the moment - which to me is quite ridiculous.

Religious faith is the core of many people's belief system and as such, can stir some of the most deeprooted feelings and emotions. Quite frankly, it would be like toying with a rabid tiger.. I honestly don't even your position here Clay.

I guess what I would do is sit her down and explain what beliefs are all about. She will need to realise that different people have different beliefs - and that there's religions besides Christianity out there too. Tolerance is the key, but the social aspect is what will hit the hardest I think. Peer group pressure, especially at that age, will be the most difficult hurdle to cross.

I would definitely see danger signs in conformity for the sake of getting a birthday invite if you get my meaning... depends on the other kids and their parents.

I also believe in the live and let live policy...

good luck with it

Anonymous said...

Either switch schools or get a tempory "666" tatooed on her body somewhere and have some fun.