Monday, September 05, 2005

Eucalyptus Bowl - General Stuff

I have written plenty on Saturday’s Euc  Bowl already, but a few of the funnier moments and side comments that I have…

The venue was a great idea…. I am sure that the Bardwell Park RSL had never had so many geeks descend upon them all in one sitting before, but the staff were great.  Apparently the hire of the venue which came with all the tables & chairs and the odd staff member picking up glasses and cleaning up was only $300.  Bargain!

The turnout:  I am amazed how much support blood bowl has in Sydney.  I played in a Sydney League in the early 90’s that had at its peak 20 or so coaches, but to get 38 for a one off event was great.  The ages of the coaches varied too and some young guys who wouldn’t have been old enough to play in the early 90’s make up the bulk.   A few of us old hands too were about which was good to see.

The personalities:  I know a couple of the SWL guys already from going to the odd Tommy Dean gig and the like, but it was good to meet some of the new fumbbl players like Rabid_Bogscum and Virral.  Also finally met “Babs” in person and I was also keen to say g’day to DM who makes the odd comment here on this blog.  DM had a fantastic home crafted board and took the photos that were linked below.  Was also good to meet DaemonicLazoth in person and he was the victim of the funniest moment when Tommy took his lunch… Other new people I met were dancollins who was very funny and I also met a guy (Brendan) who lives about 1km from my place who is very keen on the miniature side of things and has offered me the odd local game.  For the record, the SWL’ers who were there were Skonos, gumbi, Beefygoodness, chunky04, ozjesting, dancollins, DaemonicLazoth, DM, AnthonySoprano, Doubleskulls and yours truly ClayInfinity.  I hope I haven’t missed anyone…

Painting:  I was very impressed with some of the painting talents of the players.  Also I noticed after the event that painting scores (and sportsmanship) come into the mix for determining the overall champion and this has inspired me to take up the miniature side of the game a bit more enthusiastically.  I am thinking of buying a whole team via eBay and taking my time and painting them up nicely.  Some of the work at Euc Bowl was amazing with the most interesting was the use of cello tape as a “perspex visor” on a Pro Elf team.

Technical Points:  I very much liked the “everyone gets 2 skills per game” rule.  Made the post match stuff simple and the teams stayed in tact throughout the tournament.  Also the TR110 rule was great as it allowed teams to take Stars and be a bit adventurous with their lineups.  Another plus was the 2 day event.  So many tournaments are played over 3 days in a long weekend that for those of us with families it makes it hard to attend.  MOAB for instance is on the October long weekend… I doubt that I will be able to go…  On the negative side, my only comment was that the skills awarded should be rolled.  That will mean stat increases could come into it and more importantly, mutations and traits.  Chaos teams were severely disadvantaged IMHO.

Overall it was a great success.  I want to thank Chunky and Doubleskulls for the work they put into it all and I cant wait for next years event – which I have been assured wont be on Fathers Day!

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes sir you are mostly correct, great fun indeed! But I feel you are missing the point of these tournements from a "family" perspective. I will pack MY fam into a car and happily wave bye bye as they drive down to Canberra for the long weekend of MOAB! ;-) Then I will hop into my hire car and cruise down for 3 days of great entertainment. Well, 2 1/2 really. I will be home in time monday to get dinner ready for the arrivial of my special ones and hopefully regale them with stories of my success (Which they LOVE to hear!) ;-)

So get into the spirit man! Send the wife and kids on a "holiday" and get your self down to MOAB. Since MY fam is gone you can crash here and save the big trips betwen days. Or better yet...bring the fam to Newtown for their "holiday" and you can see them every night and have your very own "comedy chef" prepare your evening meals! (sounds like I am "kidding" but I am TOTALLY serious.) Get in early though as I will offer up the "crash pad" for otheres in the coming weeks.

Chunky said...

hmmm oz, with the family away we may be able to do some things - you're certainly a lot closer to the venue than myself - I may be hosting some folks at my place at the moment though.