Monday, September 05, 2005

Fathers Day!

Had a great Fathers Day yesterday that was very relaxing and quiet.  The day started with bacon and eggs in bed with orange juice after a sleep in.  Scored some pressies off the kids which were fantastic.  Little Brooke made me a whole bunch of drawings and cards from Pre-School and the main piece of craft I got was a little balsa wood star that had been painted glued with shiny stars and in the middle was a little picture of her.  A strip magnet was glued to the back and I have taken it to work today where it will be stuck somewhere there.  Kate bought me from her school’s Fathers Day stall a pair of gardening gloves and a trowel “because I love gardening” plus a thousand cards and drawings and paintings.  They weren’t great pressies in the traditional sense, but its very special to have your kids put so much effort into their craft just for you.  Fathers Day is now starting to be a big event from my girls’ perspective and it hits home how much of a role you play in their lives.

I then watched a bit of SportsWorld in bed until I had to get up and get ready to go see my Dad for Fathers Day lunch.  We drove down to Greystanes to Mum & Dad’s and the girls had presents for “Grandpa” as well.  Dad got a microwave heat pack “because he has a sore back” and I am sure it will come in very handy :-)

We then went to the Shun Tak Chinese Seafood restaurant in Parramatta and absolutely gorged ourselves.  No other words to describe it, but we all pigged out.  Kate & Brooke enjoyed trying to use chopsticks and ate chicken omelette, spring rolls and Kate even had a couple of Gow Gee’s (sp?).  We also had Peking Duck, Sizzling Beef, Salt & Pepper Prawns (my favourite), Spicy Pippies, Dim Sims, Sang Choy Bow and of course Fried Rice.  The big dish though was a whole lobster from the tank that was cooked up and we (well mainly Dad & I) got through most of before we conceded defeat.  Add on a beer and a couple of glasses of wine and I was well and truly stuffed.  One of the best meals I have had in ages.

Then it was a leisurely drive home to watch a very good game of football on TV (which my Saints won and secured a vital Top 2 finish in the NRL) and I dozed in front of the news.

A great day, but it makes going into work today so much harder….

No comments: