Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Bad Karma Day?

I was early this morning… managed a double snooze on the alarm and still managed to get showered and shaved and dressed with a few minutes to spare before I had to leave for the train.  Left the house in a leisurely manner and headed off to the station.  Halfway there, I realise I had forgotten my train ticket.  A quick call home, I do a U turn and head back.  Train ticket couldn’t be found until I checked yesterdays shirt in the laundry.  Scampered out again with the kids looking bemused.

Now I am in a bit of a hurry but will be OK if I go down the mountain to Emu Plains and meet the train there.  I have plenty of time and head down towards Mitchell’s Pass which for those that don’t know it is a single lane, one way pass down the mountain.  You can only go down and there is no overtaking and its fairly windy, but if you know the road there is no issue.

It is a quick way down the mountain but I struggle to get there as a dog, a bike rider and a dog walker all decide to step out in front of me in the 1.5kms to the pass from my place.  My blood pressure rises as I get to the top of the pass.  I turn into Mitchell’s Pass and then SLAM on the brakes.  Seems as though someone thought that morning peak hour would be a great time to take their 16yr old child out on their first drive on L plates.  Why?  WTF were they thinking?  So now I am in an 8 car procession down the mountain.  Can’t pass, can’t overtake, and can’t take an alternative route… I am now bound to this learners brake lights and erratic steering.

We crawl down the mountain and I am increasingly running late.  By blood pressure is now boiling… I am a cranky driver at the best of times and I am gripping the steering wheel with ever increasing force.  The clock ticks… my train would be leaving Lapstone now and I am pushing to meet it.

At the bottom of the mountain, the L plater turns off to continue their leisurely lesson of frustration and I speed ahead down the old highway.  I get to the Lennox Shopping Centre with clear space in front and behind but that doesn’t stop this absolute tool pulling out in front of me.  I hate people who pull out in front of you when there is clearly more opportunity to let you pass by first… but this guy will have none of that and pulls out in front of me doing 80km/h so he can slow me down to the 50km/h he is doing.  We proceed down the highway (which is single laned) and we get to the train station.  I want to turn left to go into the back carpark, he is going straight.  He takes off from the light and I start my left turn until he decides halfway across the intersection to turn left right in front of me.  I nearly T-bone this dickhead and I am now sitting on the horn.  He pays no heed and goes to the back car park.

I get the last space though in the carpark and I am now the furthest point from the train platform.  The train is now coming into the station and I make a dash for it.  I am not a dasher and I arrive at the platform and the train puffing after my 150m sprint.  I get the last seat by the windows which is a three seater at the back of the carriage.  I place my coat on the middle seat and a lady comes in a decides to sit on my fucking coat.  No excuse me, no do you mind… just she plonks her arse on my coat….

She is now sleeping on the end seat after she realised she didn’t have to sit hard up against me… I swear I have run into every fool in the universe this morning and it could have been avoided if I had simply remembered to grab my train ticket…. I hope the day improves from here.

No comments: