Monday, November 07, 2005

Weekend Wrap

Wow!  Back at the office and now I can sit back and relax!  A very very hectic weekend….

Saturday morning and I was off to see my Tax Accountant for my annual pilgrimage to get a few pennies from the coffers of Johnny Howard and I always live in fear that my tax guy will look at my Group Certificate and declare that my work’s payroll dept has stuffed up and I owe an obscene amount of money… but although it was a long session, it ended with me getting a return that was more than double that I what I was hoping for…. So it was worth it in the end and a nice way to start the weekend.

Dashed off to cricket, expecting it to be washed out as it was bucketing down in the mountains, but my match at Wentworthville was able to be played under overcast but dry conditions… I wish it was washed out though as we went from a solid position by keeping the opposition at 2/73 off 29 to 5/302 at stumps!!  Yee gods we conceded nearly 250 runs in a session!  The bowlers didn’t bowl bad but we dropped a horrendous amount of catches (10 I am told) and over half of those were what you would call “dollys”.  There number 6 and 7 batsmen finished 106 and 88 not out respectively… in all, probably one of the worst days of cricket I have had.  But as the saying goes, tomorrow (or at least next Saturday) is another day and as long as we don’t capitulate in our batting and be solid, we can take some solace out of that.  Still, if they can do it, perhaps we can go one run better J.

Saturday night was then dinner at Mum & Dads in which Mum cooked up some spag bowl and we had a few bottles of Pinot (well they did, Niki and I were both driving) and we played the Margaret Pomerantz (sp?) and David Stratton Movie Trivia game…  essentially trivial pursuit for movie buffs.  I, as I have always known, am NOT a movie buff and I came last but I was left steaming that most of my questions focused on 1950, 60 or 70 movies whilst my parents were left the questions on Lord of the Rings… aaggghh!  And there were soooooo many questions involving Matt Damon!! Why??  Margaret Pomerantz needs to get out more methinks…

Sunday was “Harvest the Weeds Day” at my place and I put my lawnmower through its paces and the job was done by 10am.  My foot long grass was whittled down nicely, and then I was off to my brother in laws house to continue painting his fence in prep for their big wedding day in 2 weeks.  Finished that at 4 in the afternoon (about the same time the Aussies wrapped up the Windies in Brisbane) and ducked home to cook a BBQ for Glenn & Brooke and kids who came over for dinner at 5:30.  Unfortunately our Barina broke down between Springwood and Glenbrook and I limped home with the car in 3rd gear and warning lights flashing on the dashboard.  Apparently, after speaking to Holden, that means “you’re stuffed, bring it in ASAP”.

Dinner went on until 9pm and I was in bed by 9:30 absolutely knackered.

Now I can sit here at my desk all day at work… sounds kind of soothing!

PS – big shout out to my mate Steve who got engaged in the UK over the weekend!  Wedding in June / July in the UK next year is the early call on the dates.  Congratulations mate!!

No comments: