Saturday, April 22, 2006

Leviathan Day 1 Results

Game Day!  Played 3 games today and am primed for 3 more tomorrow.  I am currently running 3rd out of 15 coaches and think that once again I am in with a shot of winning the day tomorrow.  My 3 games are summarised below:

Game 1:  2-2 vs Wood Elves (Casualties: 2-2)
A rough start that saw me win the toss and elect to kick against Dan "PianoDan" Pickler who's Woodies promptly scored in 2 turns.  Now my cunning plan was to grind away for the next 14 turns and score twice.  But it wasn't to be and after a shocking drive, went into the sheds down 0-2.  The good news was that his KO box was filling nicely and only 8 elves came out for the 2nd half.

I drove quickly and scored after only 4 turns (nice effort for Dwarves) and was behind 1-2.  He then received the ball and I thought he would easily tear my defence to ribbons with his high agility passing game and it looked just like that when with 3 turns to go, he fumbled the ball on the pass that would have taken him to 3-1 up.  I swarmed his bumbling passer and snatched the ball and after a short skirmish I darted in and scored and tied the game on the bell.  A draw was the result, but I was very lucky.

Game 2: 2-1 vs Lizardmen (Casualties: 6-2)
After the lunch break, I was against James Russell-Wills (Rabid_Bogscum) and his Lizards.  James was undermanned as he didnt have a Kroxigor figure and was also limited in the number of Sauris' he had, so it was a very Skink heavy lizard team that I faced in Round 2.  James found the first half hard and my Longbeards smashed his Skinks with their stunty dodging no match for my brutal tackling.  Skinks were being carted off the field each turn and he promptly lost the ball and I snatched it away to score 1-0 on the half time bell.

With me receiving the ball and at full strength, I expected to walk this one in, and James was a little despondent.  But to start the 2nd half his kick went very deep and he rolled a perfect defence.  My first turn stalled and he swept a Sauri and 2-3 skinks into my backfield between my runner and the forming cage of Longbeards.  I was in trouble and whilst I managed to dodge away and throw a pass, it was dropped and I was swarmed in my own half.  Soon enough, the Lizards had forced me to turn over the ball and it was suddenly tied at 1-1 with 4 turns to play.

Again, I was forced to extend my offence against much swifter opposition and it was very touch and go for a while there, but soon weight of numbers told and I again got away with victory on the bell.  6 casualties on the Lizards saw them in trouble for the next match with 2 of them serious.

Game 3:  2-1 vs Chaos Dwarves (Casualties 3-0)
Against Paul Morris and his Hashut's Slayers I hired Grim Ironjaw for his debut for the Glenbrook Kings.  The Star Player was to prove the difference in this one as I won the toss and elected to receive this time but stalled badly.  The last quarter of the first half was spent in the Chaos Dwarf half, but with Bull Centaurs and CD Blockers everywhere, the ball got lost in a mosh pit of battling Dwarves.  Then I can safely say that on the last turn of the first half I scored the arsiest touchdown of my Blood Bowl Career.  My lone runner reached the endzone and waited for "The Pass".  "The Pass" was delivered by my Blitzer who dodged away from 2 Bulls, into the tackle zone of one of those Bulls and without error did so and picked the ball up.  Still in the tacklezone, I threw a short pass over the head of the 2nd Bull (who failed to intercept) and into the arms of the runner.  Only on the catch roll did I burn my last reroll, but it was an awesome play.  Paul was a bit stunned.

Second half was about my defence and against a more moderate paced team I was able to hold him up and did some casualties along the way, but eventually he scored.  I had 5 turns though to retaliate and with Grim leading the way, I surged down the hash marks and scored in the end a comfortable 2nd touchdown and the victory.

Other Stuff:  Leviathan is packed.  I didnt know it was so big.  There must be 3-4 hundred people there today playing all sorts of games.  The Warhammer and 40K crowds are big, but there is plenty of other games.  Even saw Lego Wars where Lego knights do battle...  As an extra surprise, I won the Leviathan Day 1 Raffle (out of all those people) and for $2 in tickets, I picked up a milk crate of grab bag stuff.  Some books, some action figures but the pick was some great miniatures - a Warmaster Starting High Elf Army and a Brettonian Pegasus rider.  Also the Harry Potter Trivia Game and a rack for my paint brushes.  The High Elves alone have a price sticker of $70, so thats pretty cool.

From the SWL, Chunky holds down 2nd place with 3 wins, but has lost a few casualty points.  DanCollins is 0-3 and the DreamKillers are having a horrendous run... I think there are only 9 orcs left in his team.  PianoDan does well after my Round 1 match with him and is 1/2/0.  Tribalsinner, the new kid on the block is 0/1/2 but is holding his own after being beaten by Chunky and Ian Doubleskulls Williams in the first 2 rounds.  Ian himself is there abouts... iirc, he is 2/0/1.

Day 2 results tomorrow!

No comments: