Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Hype Is Building

Thursday already – this week is flying!  I have had a few early starts this week and will do so again next week as the build up to 30 June continues for me on a work front.  This morning though, I woke late principally because I took some night time Codrals to help with the flu I am staving off and I hit the snooze for a full hour in my grogginess.  Luckily, the train was running late and I managed to get the 7:37am from Glenbrook.  Mind you its running 10mins late!

The main thing though on my mind is the World Cup.  I am a big soccer fan generally and World Cups are special and I have been known in the past to take annual leave to watch some games, but this World Cup is different because Australia is in it.  I am busting for it to start… I didn’t get up to watch it, but Australia beat minnows Liechtenstein overnight 3-1 with Harry Kewell playing a pre-determined 60mins and came through unscathed.  Nice to score some goals, although I wonder how we conceded one?

This weekend is the June long weekend and Monday night is Australia’s debut match with an 11pm kick off.  I am getting together with the guys to watch it probably at this stage at Wenty Leagues Club.  Its central for most of us guys who live at various ends of Sydney and we’re keen to watch it with the atmosphere of a group of supporters.  Plans are sketchy, but we’ll probably get together for dinner somewhere and make our way over for a few lubricating beverages before hand.  The only problem is though, that the next day is a work day.

And it has been doubly made worse as I am booked into a video conference with Los Angeles at 8am.  I wonder what state I will be in with that…

No comments: