Friday, July 28, 2006

Frustrations with Technology

OK, seems as though my emails to blogger are being stopped intermittently.  My morning post yesterday went out fine, but a subsequent post I did yesterday afternoon has not… Don’t know if its works mail server or the blogger people or what, but my afternoon posts are sometimes done hastily when something annoys me so much that I want to get it down so they tend to be more sharp, to the point and in yesterday’s case aggressive… But whilst it resides in my sent box it hasn’t hit the blog… annoying.

Secondly, a rare work related post.  For a particular reason involving a court case, I had to find correspondence in my email archive from 2003.  So I open up my works archiving system via an Outlook folder and search.  I find that there are NO emails from 2003, 2004 and anything before August 2005!  WTF?  So I log a call with Help Desk, who investigate and after much deliberation say that my “archive” has been stored on my C drive and not a network drive.  That means when my laptop archives away emails, it saves them in compressed format on my hard drive!  Then in August 2005, I had a major problem with my laptop and they wiped it and rebuilt it.  This meant that all my archive folder was wiped away!  Now when they did that, I did save the stuff in C:\My Documents to a network drive and restored it after the rebuild, but this archive file is about 6 branches down into the Windows\Outlook file structure and is encrypted to not look like a file I had created!  End result, archive gone, no recovery, thanks for coming.

Someone in IT today is going to not wish they had come to work today!

No comments: