Thursday, August 17, 2006

Soccer Review: Australia 2 - Kuwait 0

I can’t believe the negative press received after last nights game mainly from people who didn’t watch it or watched it on TV.

Well, for me given that I was there in the cheap seats behind the goal ($20, bargain!), I thought the night was a big success.  The atmosphere was great, the ground was full bar a few member seats remaining empty and the crowd was boisterous through out.  The Green & Gold Army at the southern end were leading the chants and had a large banner which covered half the bay.

The game itself, I thought was very competitive and the Kuwaiti’s gave there all and at stages dominated us.  People have to realise that the Australian team tonight was picked from A Leaguers who have only played pre-season games and that showed with a number of poor passes and touches, particularly in the early parts of the game.

But these guys will go on to form the nucleus of our 2010 World Cup squad and I thought it was fantastic that such a big crowd turned out for them.  They started to click in the last 20mins and produced 2 very classy goals.  The first was a real team effort scored by my man of the match Travis Dodd and the second was a great individual run (by Dodd again) and a neat tap in from Petrovski.

For those who criticise a) the game, b) the players or c) the sport in today’s press, blow it out your arse!  Soccer is here to stay and is now waking up in this country.  You don’t have to support one code at the expense of others, I think soccer – like cricket is – will be the countries unifying national football code.  You can still like NRL, AFL or Union, but I think the soccer will be a great addition rather than competition.

Bring it on!  Can’t wait for the next game!


[Edit]: Just realised I picked the score after re-reading yesterday's post... w00t!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how many times do i need to tell you clay...it's not soccer mate, it's bloody football!!!

sc