Monday, September 11, 2006

Rain Continues!

Most Sydneysiders would be feeling like building an Ark at the moment as the rain continues to bucket down here in Sydney.  Been about a week now of solid rain… and I am sure NONE of it is getting into the Warragamba Dam.  Day One of the cricket season was washed out without a ball being bowled and we didn’t even need to turn up to the ground to inspect the field, I got an SMS at 10:30am saying not to bother showing.  So for you cricket fans, there’ll be a short (35overs a side) one day game next week.

Also on Saturday, Niki took the girls to Julie & Cons for their youngest Shannon’s 5th birthday party.  The party was good despite the rain but unfortunately I heard the jumping castle got minimal use. :-(  I had promised to visit Mum & Dad before cricket and despite it being off, I still went down and it was nice to visit just because.  I did get back after lunch though and took the girls to the library to return their swag of library books and borrow some more.  5 books was a bit ambitious last time, so we kept them down to 3 books each.  Kate also has reading for homework so its important that she does those books first.  Both the girls love books though and that makes me very happy to see them sitting quietly reading instead of watching TV.  I too got a book, Stephen Kings “Rose Madder” which I have never read – I am a bit of a King fan, so I surprised myself I hadn’t read it.

Sunday was another kids birthday party at Niki’s girlfriend Tricia’s house at Leura.  Magnificent old house and again for the poor old kids it was raining, but they had a large back room and had hired as entertainment an African drumming group (www.drumbeats.com.au) who entertained the kids with rhythm and beats on the drums.  Each kid got their own drum and also some of the parents.  It was a great idea and was handy because of the wet.  I also met some of the other dads who are also commuters from Leura, Wentworth Falls and Hazelbrook… and I realised that Glenbrook aint so bad.

After the party we had more kids stuff given we had agreed to baby sit Tyler and Mia, the 2yr old and 6mth old of friends Monique and Sean.  We had given Monique & Sean a “free babysitting” voucher as a bit of a laugh last Christmas and it is a bit sad though that they finally cashed it in in September.  But they went out and had dinner and a movie (12 Canoes, they said it was very funny) and we got to look after a baby for a few hours.  I gave my first bottle feed in about 4 years… very strange to do that again.

So all in all, it was a wet, kid frenzy of a weekend…

No comments: