Monday, January 29, 2007

Quick CanCon Wrap

Got back last night from CanCon, the big gaming convention in Canberra where I once again had a tilt at the Australian Blood Bowl Nationals.  In terms of results on the pitch, I did slightly worse than last year finishing equal 5th (out of 30) as opposed to last years 3rd, but I think I enjoyed the games this year more and on top of that, I was able to play a few boardgames at night given I was on my own and the comp was probably a lot tighter over all.

Firstly, I think a big Lime Kettles congratulations must go to Tommy “ozjesting” Dean, a regular Lime Kettle poster who took out the title in a very exciting grand final.  His Norse team was clearly the best team overall and was the deserved champ with a 5-2-0 record.  Also, one of the best victory speeches I have ever heard… am yet to know whether he was able to successfully collect his prize of the woman of his choice….??

On my efforts, I played Tommy and I also played the runner up (Ian “Doubleskulls” Williams) and two very close matches with both those guys that could have gone either way.  Ultimately Tommy beat me and I drew with Ian and I guess that’s what cost me the title…

My matches went something like this:

  • Vs Rod Noye (Orcs) 2-0 win
  • Vs Doubleskulls (Amazons) 1-1 draw
  • Vs Vimes (Skaven) 1-1 draw
  • Vs Brad Delmege(sp?) (Dark Elves) 1-1 draw (yes another farking 1-1 draw)
  • Vs Ozjesting (Norse) 0-1 loss
  • Vs GardenGnome (Pro Elves) 2-3 loss
  • Vs Drakeular (Necromantic) 3-1 win

So overall, a 2/3/2 record and I also took out the most casualties’ award (25 in 7 games) and the best painted single miniature award and my prize was a new Dwarven Deathroller miniature, which I am very very happy about.

Had a good look around CanCon as well and if I had the cash, I could have gone berserk.  I did get a Carcassonne expansion for the girls (Princess & Dragon) but that was about it.

The next Blood Bowl tournament is Leviathan at Quakers Hill in mid April, so I hope to see you all there!

No comments: