Thursday, February 08, 2007

Why Are Computers So Frail?

Apologies but no post today… had left my laptop at the office and didn’t have a write up this morning and here I sit at nearly 3 in the afternoon and have a brief chance to say something… And that something is “Why are Computers So Frail?”

Last night we had an electrical storm.  The PC out of precaution was shut down, but every thing else was left as is.  The storm came, not a particularly big one, and some time later I went to restart said PC.

It fails to boot up… looping error messages telling me to “Load from the last known good configuration” yet it fails to load…

I rang my friendly local PC shop and he asked did I unplug it from the wall.  No I reply.  “Ahhh that’s the problem, the storm affected the PC.  Bring it in and we can fix it”.

Why does a powered down PC still fry and yet my TV, DVD and every other electrical device running still work?  And does anyone know how to fix the PC so I don’t have to take it into the shop??

 

No comments: