Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Great Easter Egg Hunt

The house is quiet... its a bit past midnight and I am about to go to bed but not before "the Easter Bunny comes"... I will lay out the eggs, tip half a glass of milk down the sink (I like milk, but its been sitting there for a few hours) and gnaw on a carrot or two using just my two front teeth...

Normal scene yes on an Easter Saturday... but not at 9:35pm tonight...

We had just gotten home from seeing Meet The Robinsons in 3D (not the best 'kids' movie, but a good movie overall) and the kids were asleep in their beds.  Then Niki cries out and she's very upset as she had just taken all the easter eggs down and dropped them and smashed the two big bunnies and the Smartie Eggs she had gotten for them...

No Easter eggs... 9:35pm... what to do.

With Niki upset about the whole thing, I jump in the car and race down the mountains to a Woolworths Petrol Station at Emu Plains.  Get there 9:45pm.  The only eggs are some lame Kinda Surprise rubbish and dodgy little solid eggs.  I ask the lady is that all she has and she says yes, but that Woolworths up the road is open until 10pm.  The Supermarket open until 10pm on Easter??!!

Race in the care and yes it appears open.  Go to enter the mall and the door is locked and I have to run around the other side of the mall... apparently security think its good to leave one door open and one closed.

Race through the mall and the shutters are coming down.  Run through the open checkout and into the aisles.  Place is full of night fill staff.  Easter eggs... where are they?  I am directed to the front corner of the shop and it looks like a bomb site.  There are broken eggs on the floor and the stock looks depleted.  I scrounge through and get a Lindt chocolate bunny (white for Kate, no milk, so dark for Brooke).  They're only small and the bunny's that were broken were the big ones... so I grab the last two Crunchie Bunnies and two cartons of eggs for good measure.

Easter is saved!  I am asked by an attendant to move to the checkout as they're closing.  I am the last customer served... lucky the eggs at home hadnt been broken 5 mins later!

No comments: