Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Kneecapped!

Well, home from the hospital.

For those who aren't aware, I had an arthroscopy today to clean up my knee cartilage. After the surgery, the doc told me he ended up trimming away two tears not one as he had first diagnosed and that one was "in the groove" (I am sure thats a medical term he used) and hence why my knee had been painful.

Funny though this whole business. I was very nervous mainly because of the anaesthetic. I hadnt had anaesthetic since I was 4 when I had my appendix out and hence I was a bit worried. After going in at 11:30am, I didnt actually get taken to theatre until after 3pm and I laid there listening to the nurses getting the theatre ready whilst I laid there under a warm air blanket, in a hair net and with a big cannula in my hand...

Then when I was wheeled in, answered the same routine questions about allergies, fillings and did I understand the procedure. The anaesthetist stuck a tube in my cannula and when the Q&A was done, he said "OK, am going to administer the drug now".

Then he simply said to me "Clayton, you have 15 seconds." Kinda odd statement really so I started counting in my head. Got to 12 I think - lights out.

The next thing I know, I am in recovery, feel no pain whatsoever and a nurse was telling me she was giving me a bit of oxygen to help with my breathing... all too easy really.

By 6:30 I was in the car and Niki was driving me home!

The knee is heavily bandaged, but no crutches and I am hobbling around on it. It isnt paining, but I have had some Panadeine Forte and will probably have some more soon, but I really am surprised how good I feel.

I have some exercises to do tomorrow - simple leg extensions etc and the bandage stays on for 48hrs.

All good I say!

No comments: